Porsche Babblers

Porsche Babblers (http://babblers.org/porsche-boxster-cayman-forums.php)
-   Boxster / Cayman (http://babblers.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need smog check recommendation for South Bay (http://babblers.org/showthread.php?t=6062)

hloo10 February 18th, 2004 09:20 AM

Need smog check recommendation for South Bay

I'm looking for a shop in the South Bay or within 20 miles which knows how to smog check a Boxster. I'm a bit leary of taking her to the corner gas station. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hanson

Tom M February 18th, 2004 09:41 AM

This is from a year ago so the price may have changed - but the dealers' do them.

http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4628

hloo10 February 18th, 2004 09:58 AM

Thanks Tom. I noticed the same thread right after I posted. It showed up at the bottom. I'm still trying to figure out this new format. I didn't know you could search the "Babblers Classic" board. The price is a bit steep, but Kimo & Team up there know what they're doing.

Hanson

Tom M February 18th, 2004 10:35 AM

If it's still in the $60+certificate range that's not bad. We just paid about $80+certificate for the Yukon.

hloo10 February 18th, 2004 10:48 AM

Just called Claridge's. It's now $135. Didn't ask if it included certificate.

Hanson

Tom M February 18th, 2004 10:52 AM

Ouch! Was that just a quote from service or did you talk with Kimo? My guess is that price should include the certificate.

hloo10 February 18th, 2004 11:14 AM

It was a quote from nice lady on the phone. Has something changed in the world of smog checks? The last time I went down to the corner station with my Nissan, it was about $30 as I recall.

Hanson

Tom M February 18th, 2004 11:34 AM

That same nice lady (Lina?) quoted me a price quite a bit higher than I negotiated with Kimo for my 30K service. I'd call back and see about speaking with Kimo.

And yes, the price of smog checks has gone up significantly due to tighter regulations by CARB.

BoxsterBob - San Carlos February 18th, 2004 11:41 AM

Smog II, now they need to check the car at speed (dyno like). Many mom & pop couldn't afford the equipment, so those that can charge through the nose! :(

LarryNakamura February 19th, 2004 10:37 PM

Yea, CA Smog II

As of Oct 2003 smog II requirements came into effect. No more $20-30 smog checks anymore. I would suggest doing it at the dealer just from the fact that most smog shops don't know how to work on a Boxster. IE how to get to the engine, etc. Maybe if you hang out and help guide them through it. I have to do that when I take my Fiero in for smog check as they just don't know where a few things are. I think they charge approx $85 now at the smog shops.

So, You can think of it as the hidden part of the car tax increase. Thank god Arnold revoked the other tax increase.

Barry February 23rd, 2004 07:31 PM

Recently had mine done

Quote:

Originally Posted by hloo10
I'm looking for a shop in the South Bay or within 20 miles which knows how to smog check a Boxster. I'm a bit leary of taking her to the corner gas station. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hanson

Had my 2000 done in November at Anderson Behel in San Jose for $80 minus a PCA discount. I consider this a bargain when you factor in that it was done by technicians who actually know how to access the engine compartment and then properly re-secure things. Also, since it was still in warranty at the time, if any problems were found during the test, the car was already in the shop that could do the repairs.

Docdanracy February 23rd, 2004 08:50 PM

smog

Barry,
Was that on the dyno or the normal smog check. Sometime in November or December the law changed and every smog now needs to be on the dyno....much more $$$$$$. By the way why did your y2k need a smog check since in Calif. you have 4 year grace period on a new car before needing smog, or was your car a very early y2k purchase? :confused:

Docdanracy February 23rd, 2004 08:56 PM

smog check on the dyno

Ken's Sportech in Campbell can do your smog. They work with the shop right next door with a dyno and can get it done. Had mine done in December with no problems. When you call ask for Mark and tell them that Dan Thompson sent you in. They know how to work on Boxsters.
They also just got a Ps2 so they can scan for trouble codes now. :D

Barry February 24th, 2004 07:18 AM

Answers

Can't say for sure if it was dyno'd. Assume it was since the test was done in November. Did a price reference check at Claridge's at the time. They were $135, so doing it at A/B was an easy decision. Don't know if A/B's price is still $80.

The glow of "newness" got a bit tarnished when I got the DMV smog notice in my registration renewal. My 2000 was delivered in January '00.

mee March 16th, 2004 12:09 AM

Just Smogged Mine 2 Weeks Ago...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hloo10

Hanson

This was the Smog Check II (needless to say). Many smog places told me to go to the dealership. I found a place called Reliable Auto Repair at 463 Blossom Hill near 87/Oakridge Mall. I helped them remove the engine cover (it's in the manual) to get to the engine. Pretty down-to-earth guys. Nothing fancy and not the usual dealer snobs. Cost was $80 with cert which was actually better than some places that charged $90 and wouldn't touch a Porsche. Will go there in the future.

LarryNakamura March 26th, 2004 10:20 AM

You should add them to the recomendations list.

If you find a good mechanic, parts store, dealer with good service, etc.
you should add it to the recomendations list. Located at the top of the
page. Just a suggestion.

RickJ January 5th, 2018 11:42 AM

Smog South SF Bay / San Jose

I see this is an older thread - but thought I'd add to it anyway - it's still a challenge.....
I just spent an hour or so visiting 3 or 4 smog check places (generally prices in the $35 range) in the Evergreen area of San Jose - none could smog the Boxster 09 'S' - I drove up to Saratoga Ave and found 'Saratoga Avenue 76' @ 590 Saratoga Ave (@ 280) - they were able to smog - price with certificate $78......I'd have thought by now the Boxster would have become common enough that the smog guys wouldn't have any difficulty doing what they needed to get the job done - but apparently not....RickJ

mikefocke January 5th, 2018 06:28 PM

What in the world is so complex with your CA smog check. In NC we hook up to the OBD port, put a probe in the tailpipe and rev the engine and out comes a print out that goes to the governor. No mystery on a 986 at all. Never even open the engine access hatch.

hloo10 January 6th, 2018 09:18 AM

This is an ancient thread but back then CA cars had to go on a dyno. Most smog shops did not have dynos low enough to get these cars on without damage to the front. The one I found back then was Cupertino Smog also a 76 station (10625 N De Anza Blvd, Cupertino, CA 95014 near old Apple buildings) had a dyno built into the floor.

CA has gotten rid of the dyno requirement but I still use these guys. Now it’s just ODB. Don’t even have to pull the car in. Does it wireless. They’ve gotten to know these cars over the years. Just recently had a 2016 981 done there and the tech clearly knew the car. About $70. Great to see some of the old names in this thread.

saeed20 May 29th, 2020 12:19 AM

party bus hire