Porsche Babblers

Porsche Babblers (http://babblers.org/porsche-boxster-cayman-forums.php)
-   Boxster / Cayman (http://babblers.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trade 19" for 18" Wheels (http://babblers.org/showthread.php?t=9488)

Gear Grinder October 8th, 2007 08:41 PM

Trade 19" for 18" Wheels

When I bought my 05 Boxster S seven months ago it had 19" Carrera S wheels. The ride is a little bit stiff because of the roads I travel are not the best. I assume the 987original 18" Carrera S wheel would be a direct replacement. But If I post an add to swap rims with someone will only 987 rims work with my car or could I use 997 18" wheels on the Boxster? I definatly want to stay with OEM wheels. Any help out there would be appreciated.

davezaristo October 8th, 2007 11:31 PM

If you want a set of OEM 987 Boxster S 18" rims, i'll swap with you..let me know..

Gear Grinder October 9th, 2007 09:00 PM

Dave, do you have an 987 S with the 18" Carrera S wheels? We could talk turkey about some kind of a deal. I have put my car to rest for the season. What do I need to do to talk to you on a land line?

Westcoaster October 10th, 2007 10:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of some currently available 18" wheels, the Boxster S and Cayman S wheels should have the same offset (needs to be confirmed) and should fit without problems.

The 18" Carrera wheel may have a different offset.

Pictures: 18" Boxster S / 18" Cayman S / 18" Carrera

My personal favorite is the 18" Cayman wheel!

f_laurens October 10th, 2007 09:14 PM

where are you located?
I have 18" and I'm interested with your 19"
I live in San Diego.

Gear Grinder October 11th, 2007 09:36 PM

Westcoaster

I wondered if you would come aboard on this subject. Wheels are a subjective thing as is all art. What looks good to one may not to another. I am looking for the stock 18" Carrera S wheels that came on the Boxster S 987. I do not know if 997 wheels have the correct offset and to avoid any mishaps I would like to find someone with a 987 S who has thought of installing 19" rims. The rural roads that I have to drive on are not the best. Take care and will be in touch with you soon.

Steve:)

boxs2000 October 12th, 2007 01:20 AM

I know Dave's wheels are the one that is the first picture that westcoaster provided, which are the 987s wheels. I have seen them and just like his car, it is in imaculate condition.

Gear Grinder October 12th, 2007 08:33 PM

BoxS2000

:) Thank you for your input. I left a phone message for Dave last night but as yet no answer.

Regards,
Steve

davezaristo October 12th, 2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Keppler (Post 46575)
:) Thank you for your input. I left a phone message for Dave last night but as yet no answer.

Regards,
Steve

Steve,

Got your msg but i have been busy all day..would you mind posting some pics of your wheels and i will do the same as well? Thanks!

Dave

Westcoaster October 13th, 2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Keppler (Post 46559)
I wondered if you would come aboard on this subject. Wheels are a subjective thing as is all art. What looks good to one may not to another. I am looking for the stock 18" Carrera S wheels that came on the Boxster S 987. I do not know if 997 wheels have the correct offset and to avoid any mishaps I would like to find someone with a 987 S who has thought of installing 19" rims. The rural roads that I have to drive on are not the best. Take care and will be in touch with you soon.

Steve:)

Hey Steve, although not an expert on this, the only 18" wheel styles that I can find that Porsche spec'd for the Boxster was the 18" Boxster S and the 18" Cayman S that are the first 2 pictures in my last post. I checked my Tech Equipment catalog and the current build configurator and they didn't show any others either.

Now that I have looked at the 8" Boxster S wheel, it has grown on me and I woud be happy with that style as well, but as you mentioned it is all very subjective! :D

I think that it is wise to be careful about the 997 wheels and verify the offset before going that route.