Porsche Babblers

Porsche Babblers (http://babblers.org/porsche-boxster-cayman-forums.php)
-   Mechanical and Technical (http://babblers.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   help with proper rims size for 986 boxster (http://babblers.org/showthread.php?t=10929)

jshopper May 1st, 2009 09:32 PM

help with proper rims size for 986 boxster

will these fit my 986 base model boxsterproperly ?http://i39.tinypic.com/x2uh04.jpg
Title: 18" PORSCHE 997 TURBO WHEELS CAYMAN BOXSTER S RIMS

Condition: New

Rim Information
Brand: 997 turbo style Number of Bolts: 5 Material: Alloy

Width: 8.0" front & 10.0" rear Bolt Pattern: 5 x 5.12 or 5 x 130 Structure: --

Diameter: 18 inches Offset: 50 mm front & 46 mm rear Part Number (MPN): porsche 997 turbo style

The Voxster May 2nd, 2009 09:36 AM

Porsche does not make 997 turbo wheels in 18"--only 19"--so these are definitely aftermarket copies. In fact, they look like the copies of the 997 turbos from Italy that have been selling on eBay for a long time, now.

The Porsche OE 997 turbo 19" wheels are forged and very light (and outrageously expensive as a result), while these 18"s are cast and fairly heavy. That means you'll be adding unsprung weight to your car, which, depending on your goals, may be an issue for you if you're looking to extract maximum performance from lightness out of your available HP.

That said, these wheels will fit your car with the specs/offsets given, though I'd probably run 5mm spacers in the rear if it were me. You may also need to tie back your e-brake cable to prevent the tires from rubbing them on the rear, as these are 10" rears instead of the OE 9" specification. Also, depending on whether (or how much) your car has been lowered, you may run into fender well rubbing in the rear with that wide a tire, which might mean you need to have the fenders rolled to prevent a possible disaster out in the twisties. If your car isn't lowered, these will probably fit without rubbing.

From a quality standpoint, these wheels may well be fine, but especially for a high-performance sports car, I personally would probably pass on them and look for a better known/higher-quality brand. Not saying these are unsafe or inadequate, but something to consider very seriously, since your life may quite literally depend on it.

jshopper May 4th, 2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Voxster (Post 55611)
Porsche does not make 997 turbo wheels in 18"--only 19"--so these are definitely aftermarket copies. In fact, they look like the copies of the 997 turbos from Italy that have been selling on eBay for a long time, now.

The Porsche OE 997 turbo 19" wheels are forged and very light (and outrageously expensive as a result), while these 18"s are cast and fairly heavy. That means you'll be adding unsprung weight to your car, which, depending on your goals, may be an issue for you if you're looking to extract maximum performance from lightness out of your available HP.

That said, these wheels will fit your car with the specs/offsets given, though I'd probably run 5mm spacers in the rear if it were me. You may also need to tie back your e-brake cable to prevent the tires from rubbing them on the rear, as these are 10" rears instead of the OE 9" specification. Also, depending on whether (or how much) your car has been lowered, you may run into fender well rubbing in the rear with that wide a tire, which might mean you need to have the fenders rolled to prevent a possible disaster out in the twisties. If your car isn't lowered, these will probably fit without rubbing.

From a quality standpoint, these wheels may well be fine, but especially for a high-performance sports car, I personally would probably pass on them and look for a better known/higher-quality brand. Not saying these are unsafe or inadequate, but something to consider very seriously, since your life may quite literally depend on it.

I asked the guy and he says about 25lbs each is that heavy? ( jshopper1963@sbcglobal.net )

JMMCFP May 4th, 2009 08:34 AM

I have 18" rims on my 2000 986 and I think they look really good! Not as smooth a ride as a smaller diameter rim, but a better "look".

The Voxster May 4th, 2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshopper (Post 55622)
I asked the guy and he says about 25lbs each is that heavy? ( jshopper1963@sbcglobal.net )

About average.

jshopper May 5th, 2009 05:50 AM

is it ok to use staggered height rims 18 in the back and 17 in the front?

The Voxster May 5th, 2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshopper (Post 55641)
is it ok to use staggered height rims 18 in the back and 17 in the front?

I wouldn't recommend it... might throw off your ABS and (if you have it on your car) PSM. Plus it would look REALLY awful. IMO. Like a 70's mag-wheel-wearing musclecar. Ick.

Julio Rodriguez July 11th, 2018 03:21 PM

Can i use a 19'' 911 Rim on a 987? If so how big of a spacer should i use? i was looking into 32mm spacers on the web..