View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Mdreiver

I've spent a lot of time on MPSCs and can confirm that they're bad in the rain. They are also bad in the cold and they're bad in any weather after they run out of heat cycles. They are bad at autox even when brand new.

Don't get me wrong. They are great tires. :-) I'll explain...

They are designed to provide excellent grip when you can put heat into them. They continue working great after other tires would have gotten greasy due to the excessive heat of multiple laps in the central valley in summer. I highly recommend them for a second set of wheels for your summer track days. They are no problem driving to and from the event. I only recommend benching them off track b/c they do turn into bricks if you run out of heat cycles.

They resist heat very well and that's bad for an autox. In an autox, you're running for 50 seconds and then sitting for 15 minutes. You need tires that work well when cold. Here's a list of tires that are better than MPSCs for autox with * beside those that I know to come in good Porsche sizes.

* Hoosier A6 (best choice out there but most people wouldn't even drive them to a local event - I did with no problems)
Kumho 710 (in the same class as the A6. Be careful if you don't trailer your wheels or car)
* Kumho Victoracers (limit you to 17" sizes but they can be driven on the street safely and are the "next best thing" in R compounds for autox. 245 f/r is the winning setup but you can also run 245/275)
* BFG KD and Michelin PS2 (not really R compound but close. And for an autox, they're better than the PSCs)
Bridgestone RE050R and Yok A048 (same as the 2 listed above but maybe hard to get in Porsche sizes. The Bridgestones are probably easier than the Yoks)

If you don't want a 2nd set of wheels, stick with one of the 4 non-Rcompound choices above. You'll be very competitive and get a lot of use out of your tires before they get hard.

If you can get a 2nd set of wheels, you might still wait to go R compounds. The lower your grip, the easier it is to learn how to drive. There is no advantage to having more momentum when you screw up. But whenever you decide to get R compounds, do yourself a favor and mount them on a 2nd set of wheels.

You'll also want to get:
* cordless impact wrench
* the Griot's Garage socket set with the plastic sleeves to protect your wheels
* torque wrench
* socket extension
* a really good hydraulic jack with a very low clearance (you might one day lower your car)

Using the rear jackpoints only, I got my wheel changes down to 30 minutes total.