View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Mdreiver

I believe that is one of the big benefits of PASM. It's been shown to knock something like 8 secs off the 997 N Loop time (both laps by Walter R**** (sp?)) but can adjust for normal street surfaces and remain comfortable and safe where we use the cars the most.

IMO, it doesn't matter at all how much grip our tires provide on the street. I admit that I do occassionally "dance" a car around a clover but I don't care about ultimate speed on the street. In fact, I have had more fun drifting a RAV4 than some sportscars b/c I felt less guilty about my actual speed used to obtain the desired result.

And I'm not sure what to take from that article you cite. I know the surfaces of 3Com Park and Golden Gate Fields are both crap but the R compound classes still find a way to routinely finish in front of the street tire classes. More grip on the track usually means more grip on bad surfaces too. One possible player in the data is that Mfgs pick tire sizes based on the car's weight and power. The Elise has more grip than a Boxster even though it only has 195/225 tires. Lotus wants to keep the tires small enough so that the underpowered engine can still alter the grip of the rears. The fronts are tied to the rears to maintain balance. As a car gets more power and more weight, the tires get bigger. See the Vette, GT3, etc as examples. So I am not surprised that blindly increasing tire width sometimes adversely affected performance, I'd be very surprised if improving the compound ever had a negative affect. sigh... barring ambient temp.

BTW, my 03 Boxster S weighed 3109 lbs.