Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 31st, 2002, 09:47 PM   #1
Wimster

hack for using front fog lights as running lights

Howdy,

has onyone got a hack for the relays probably to use
the front fog lights as daylight running lights ?

would it look good or cheap ?
Old January 31st, 2002, 11:43 PM   #2
Boxster El Diablo

Re: hack for using front fog lights as running lights

Maybe this will do it?
I haven't tried this myself. Doyou feel lucky?

http://www.geocities.com/doctaboxsta/Hacks.html
Old February 1st, 2002, 07:55 AM   #3
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

Re: hack for using front fog lights as running lights

That hack is the "Fog Lights Enabled With High Beams Hack". No one has come up with a DRL hack yet.

Yoseif
Old February 1st, 2002, 03:42 PM   #4
JC from SoCal

do you know if the instructions are correct?

When I did the foot well lighting (FWL) hack, I noticed that step 5, from Dr Boxster's site is incorrect. If it's wired up the way the instructions state, you will have wired both sides to ground.

The brown/yel wire to the alarm circuit, for the lack of a better term, is a decaying ground, which allows for the fade out effect. the other side of the lamp needs power, +12v, Which I picked off one of the dash switches. Step 5 of these instructions say to wire the other side to ground too.

Dr. Boxster has a disclaimer that the instructions may not all be right. So I thought I'd ask if this fog light hack (to stay on while Hi beams) is correct or if anyone has done this hack.

thx
Old February 1st, 2002, 04:02 PM   #5
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

Re: do you know if the instructions are correct?

I haven't done it so I can't vouch for it, but his instructions match the instruction on Boxster Bob's page.

Fog-light Hack
Old February 1st, 2002, 04:30 PM   #6
JC from SoCal

Thanks Yoseif *NM*

Old February 4th, 2002, 09:57 AM   #7
JC from SoCal

Yes, these instructions are correct!

Took a total of about 15 minutes. Soldered the wire between those two pins on the relay, reinstalled the relay and was done.

Hardest part: removing the relay. Hard to grab, must rock the relay back and forth gently, while pulling. When it released, my fingers sliped off the relay and it fell behind the fuse panel. Hung up on something and was able to pull it out with my fingers.

biggest Bummer: Put a beer in fridge for a reward after hack. Beer was warm! Hack didn't last long enough.
Old February 5th, 2002, 05:07 PM   #8
Blk 2K 2.7

Is this different than 2000 light switch?

My Boxster has a fog lamp with regular and high beam setting... you just pull the knob out and turn. Is this something different?
Old February 5th, 2002, 05:39 PM   #9
Sheriff John

need to ask some questions

I don't think your light switch is different than mine ('98). I also don't think you have a setting for low and high beam fog lights.

Let me explain. On your light switch, you turn the switch clockwise (to the right) one notch, that's the parking lights, turn it right one more time, that's the head lights.

While the switch is either in parking lights or head lights position, you can pull the switch out one detent. that turns on your fog lights and you will see a lite lamp on your switch assembly indicating that the fog lights are on.

If you pull on your switch one more time, it will turn on your rear fog light (1) and you will notice that there are now 2 lights on your switch assembly.

OK, put you switch on the head lamp position and pull your switch out one or two detents so now you have your head lamps on and the fog lamps as well. Now on your steering column, push your left hand lever forward to turn on your high beams. Once you do this, you will notice that your fog lamps are now off and that little light on the switch assembly will be off.

This hack allows the fog lights to stay on while you have the high beams on. It's particularly usefull on twisty 2 lane roads at night. You can see ahead as well as the side of the road.

As you know, high beams when in fog makes things worse.

Does this help?

SJ aka JC from SoCal
Old February 5th, 2002, 05:45 PM   #10
kat. (Santa Cruz)

That's the best explanation I've heard. Thanks. *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman