Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 20th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #1
MartinC

Roof condition

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I'm planning to buy a black 2001 Boxster S from a local dealer in Montreal under the pre-owned program, 30k miles on the car. The car seems to be in good overall condition (I've read the Babblers article posted), but there's a bit of wear on the roof in places where it folds. The dealer rep confirmed to me that this is because the prpevious owner drove very often with the roof down. Should this be a point of concern for me? How much wear is normal? Can it get worse over time? I know that roof repairs/replacements are expensive. Also, are there any specific rattle that I should be on the lookout for? Any tip would be greatly appreciated.

Spring is just around the corner up here. Can't wait!!

Thanks,
MartinC
Montreal, Canada

PS: informal survey: what do all you think of black exterior color? Personally, it was my third choice behind gray and silver. Black seems to hide the lines of the car a bit... But I do like it. And, based on pics, I've seen searching the web, it seems to be one of the most appreciated colors
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #2
Dr. Zoom

The main thing to worry about on the roof is the condition of the plastic rear window. If that's in good shape then you're probably good to go. My top has some minor wear marks at the fold points. It's sort of a "fuzziness" where the top folds on itself and is purely cosmetic. Unless you are planning to show your car - as opposed to drive it - I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

As far as black goes it's a great look on the Boxster. However you need to be prepared to spend a lot of time keeping it looking good. Especially if it's what's referred to as "flat" black. Looks great when it's clean and shiney. Looks terrible with lots of swirl marks in it .
Dr. Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

Welcome. As the other poster said, some minor wear is considered "normal". I've seen this on pretty much all the tops that I've seen that have a few years on them so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. The bigger issue is to make sure the rear window is in good shape. Properly maintained they will last a long time.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman