Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 4th, 2002, 09:03 PM   #1
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

We've had a Proclamation. How about some feedback.

What would YOU like to see changed on this board? Yes, that includes the layout, organization, who runs it. Anything.

I've heard from a few individuals. Some of which say that they've gotten a lot of feedback and that the board could be run better. Personally, I'm a little leery of feedback that comes through 3rd parties.

So, it's "Open Mike" night. What would you change if you could. If you think it's an unpopular position that you don't wnat to voice publicly then send me a private e-mail.

ps - I promise not to give anybodye a "timeout" based on their feedback!

pps - As Foghorn Leghorn would say about the 'ps'... "That's a joke son. A joke I say."
Old February 4th, 2002, 09:44 PM   #2
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

No complaints here...

As far as I can see, the only rule here is civility. I like that. Please keep up the good work Tom. I'm sure it's a lot of work to keep this board running as smoothly as it does. Thanks!
Old February 4th, 2002, 09:50 PM   #3
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

ignore everyone. leave it alone!

whatever you can do to reduce the time it takes to keep the board running (short of killing it). i rarely look at any section other than the discussion board. the layout, org and "runs it" are fine. but thanks for asking.

it's the people...i enjoy all of the excitement and car-related discussions. i especially like the bay area-specific posts...recommendations on where to go and gatherings. hope to meet more of you this year.
Old February 4th, 2002, 10:00 PM   #4
kat. (Santa Cruz)

Re: feedback

Just about everyone who scans this board, whether or not they actually post has an opinion or two (or twenty) on who should be allowed, what subjects we should (or shouldnít) discuss, how we should register, how the threads should format, which color Boxster is best, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

It canít be easy to deal with all the personalities, opinions, demands and righteous indignation that get mixed in with all the great Boxster information. Iím thinking Tom runs this Board fairly and with great integrity. Please donít change a thing. And thanks!!
Old February 4th, 2002, 10:08 PM   #5
Boxster Spice

There is absolutely no getting around it.

If it walks like a family, and it talks like a family, it must be a family. I mean, who else but a family could continue to work on, strive to make right, and just plain deal with a problem for this long?

I think you're doing a fine job with the board. I don't think you are perfect. But who is?

I remember one day when I was ranting and raving about Rob and how bad the other board...well, you know. You didn't delete my post. You just edited it. You took time and care to preserve the context while making it less offensive. Then you sent me a note off line sternly warning me from bringing my ravnings onto this board. I appreciated how you handled that. You showed objectivity and class.

Now, maybe Dan is aggrevating you more than I did. Or maybe you are just getting tired of the same old thing. And maybe you have extended the same courtesy to him as you did to me and because it's offline, I wouldn't know that. Either way, it's actually none of my business so I'm sorry for bringing it up.

I know you can't ban Skyler. I know you probably don't want to ban Skyler. You are looking at it as the admin and as an admin, you have no reason to ban him because over here, he's well behaved.

But let me make a rediculous analogy about this whole mess. When I was griping about being deleted from PPBB, Rob told me I was being offensive in "his house". And if I didn't quit it, I wouldn't be invited back. If that analogy applies at all, then this one can't be too flawed...

Your family member, for instance a brother, got kicked out of someone else's house. Your brother and that other someone hated each other and they fought all the time. Well, then, that other someone started coming over and knocking on the door all the time. You let him in. Do you think your brother would be pleased?

Okay, I realize that analogy is somewhat flawed. But I think it does a decent job of explaining the "other" perspective. That said, I know Dan isn't your brother and you can't shut your door to Skyler. The right thing is for Skyler to just go away. Not because someone over here says he isn't welcome. But because Dan is a huge part of the BABBLERs and if Skyler doesn't like Dan, and can't let him play in his back yard, then he should have the decency to stay away from Dan's.

I'm not saying your doing anything wrong as an admin. I Just think that Dan's friends could be showing a little more understanding.
Old February 4th, 2002, 10:27 PM   #6
Gary (Mtn. View)

Keep up the good work Tom *NM*

Old February 4th, 2002, 11:24 PM   #7
Steve B

I'm a happy man with this board and your proclamation. *NM*

Old February 4th, 2002, 11:29 PM   #8
Tom Dee in SanJose

Wow, I really missed whatever happened...

Tom, I think you do a great job. You've always been pretty fair, even when I used slightly colorful language. I don't see anything worth changing.

However, I would like to say that I agree with Boxster Spice. From my personal experience going back almost 2 years with the Babblers(when 2 or 3 cars would meet in a parking lot). Dan has been a HUGE asset and contributor to this group. On the other hand, certain individuals from PPBB have been arbitrary with their censorship and rude. Unfortunetly, I act before I think sometimes, which is why I would ban them in an instant. Maybe it wouldn't be politically correct and maybe most here wouldn't agree with it, but then again, I don't agree with them. An eye for an eye? NO PROBLEM, but then again I'm just a New Yorker.
Old February 5th, 2002, 12:00 AM   #9
Magic Mtn Dan

The BABBLERS are not any one person...

nor are the BABBLERS just a board. The BABBLERS is a spirit and passion for the Boxsters that brings everyone together.

This is not Tom's board nor is it mine and the BABBLERS don't belong to anyone. This group, founded by me and Tom, working together, is far more than the sum of its parts. There's a synergy created by everyone here who shares in the joy of driving and owning these cars.

Certainly the best part of owning a Boxster has been meeting and enjoying the people we've met. Who knew we'd get all this when we bought these wonderful cars?! That feeling - that surprise of getting far more than we ever thought we would - that is what makes the BABBLERS unique.

Thank you for giving unselfishly and for reaching out to others to make this experience so very special. To those I might have hurt, I apologize. And to those who don't know the truth and the real stories, I ask that you try to withold judgement until you get to know it and people better. In this electronic world, there's truly no substitute for meeting the people behind the posts.

At the end of the day we're all folks with feelings and hearts taking time out of our busy lives to enjoy something special and share it with others who feel similarly.

I hope that the people who have given of themselves, people who epitomize the BABBLERS like Jeff "Tool Pants" Lopez, Bruce "PetGuy" Young, Aileen "Madam No Fear" Ng, Ralph "RJ" Torres, Doc Wong, and many others are given the credit they too deserve. They are the real strength of this group and like you, they are the people who contribute and give of themselves. They are the nucleus of everything that is good about the BABBLERS.

Now, about those changes to the board...perhaps you could find a smilie face that acurately reflects the joy of driving a Boxster on a twisty road. Nah, that'll probably happen just as soon as Porsche gives the Boxster more power than the 911
Old February 5th, 2002, 08:44 AM   #10
RobynC

Re: We've had a Proclamation. How about some feedback.

I have made every attempt to keep my very opinionated self away from the fray, and I am going to continue to do so. Personal feelings aside, this is the best thing that could have happened to me with regard to the ownership of my Box. Well, second anyway, owning the Box is of course, first!

But, having this board, and the people of whom I have met, and those still to meet, really epitomize the word "enthusiasm". The experience is so incredible to own one of these cars, and joining a forum where others share ideas, assist, help, and have the incredible commonality of how much we love our cars, intensifies the experience ten-fold. Speaking from a "newbie" I am thankful to have the forum how it is. And I wouldn't change a thing!

RobynC

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman