Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM   #11
oldskuracer

Just Enjoy

People have things to say about any car...

"Oh he must drive that to compensate for...."

"Midlife crisis car...."

blah blah blah

The Acura NSX is the poor man's Ferrari isn't it? I'd like to have one. The Toyota MR2 Spyder is the poor man's Porsche Boxster right? It's a fun car. It's light, zippy, and fuel efficient.

When I had my Honda Civic, I called it my "Poor Man's BMW" and I sure enjoyed driving it around especially when I got 43 mpg when gas was over $3 per gallon!

I say just enjoy.

--------------------------------------
Oh yeah... I noticed that the stereotypical person to comment on my car is a 35-55 year old male. What does he say?
"Nice car. That's a beautiful color."
What do I say?
"Thanks."
(This happens at least once or twice EVERY time I drive around with the top down. Especially at a stop light.)
Anyone else have this experience?
oldskuracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM   #12
Mdreiver

I don't know if Ferrari guys and Lambo guys bash each others' cars. I've never known a Lambo guy and all the Ferrari guys I've known have been really down to earth and really nice.

The only thing I can tell you is that I've never heard anyone shamelessly and tactlessly bash a cheaper car. That's all I theorized on this subject. So, in your example, I'm saying Lambo guys don't mock Ferrari guys and neither of them mock Boxsters. So, yes, I still think it holds up. :-)

I don't really think it's about jealousy though. I know a lot of people don't want a Boxster even if they drive a junker. They might like to be in a better price class but that doesn't mean the Boxster is a car that suits their taste. I think it's mainly just about class differences and insecurity (trying to prove oneself or feel better about one's situation in life). Well, maybe it's jealousy of the lifestyle.

Anyway, I suspect that people with Lambos and Ferraris have better things to do than sit around and mock people that have even nicer cars than theirs. In fact, I've found that the more expensive one's car is, the more likely said person is to appreciate other great cars for what they are.
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM   #13
SurfCity

Dang, guys, who you hanging out with? I've never heard anything but compliments about my car. Never.
SurfCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:01 PM   #14
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfCity
Dang, guys, who you hanging out with? I've never heard anything but compliments about my car. Never.
specially from kids... 10ish year olds... this week I've had 2 kids yell at the top of their lungs... "nice car, mister"... and one of them called it the bat mobile.

funny how loud kids voices can be - i replied with a thanks, and i hope they heard me, though i think i was nowhere as loud.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...9daf3a22_t.jpg
Photo Blog My Boxster/Babblers' Photos
Babblers Photos on Flickr
akif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:12 PM   #15
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by akif
specially from kids... 10ish year olds... this week I've had 2 kids yell at the top of their lungs... "nice car, mister"... and one of them called it the bat mobile.

funny how loud kids voices can be - i replied with a thanks, and i hope they heard me, though i think i was nowhere as loud.
I have had this too, kids, having no idea (preconceived or otherwise about cost) react to what they are seeing, a great looking car, so that is how they respond.

Grown-ups (yeah right!), now they have an opinion about everything, and even if you don't want them too, they'll share it with you!

I have had a few comments about "the mid life crisis", but when I think back to when this all started for me (14 years old in Power Mechanics class, cutting a VW Bettle in half and turning it into a dune buggy, then getting to drive it in the school field!)... I respond with "mid life? hell no, I've died and gone to driving heaven!
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:42 AM   #16
Paralizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfCity
I'm with you SurfCity, nothing but compliments about my car. I also notice lots of stares at it when I drive down the road.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM   #17
River Rat

The comment about it being a 'chick car' was from a friend who was just giving me a hard time. Though a female friend of mine said it was 'cute'.

I'm sure none of these descriptions were running through the mind of the guy I saw on the side of the road last night by Golden Gate Fields in Berkeley watching a tow truck pull up.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:23 PM   #18
davezaristo

As far as bashing goes, when i got my boxster, many of my friends including my gf thought i should've bought a cayman instead...and some even went on saying that the boxster is the cheapest porsche, cayman looks better, this and that..blah blah blah...

So my pt is this: the majority of people think that just because it cost more, it has to be better...most have no idea that the cayman is a coupe version of the boxster and just went on saying that it is a better car in every way since it cost more...oh well, this is just typical human nature..
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:32 PM   #19
WC13

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-man
I have seen quite a few statements about the Boxster being a Poor man's Porsche...
I always thought the VW Scirocco was the poor man's Porsche.
"When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
WC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:54 PM   #20
davezaristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC13
I always thought the VW Scirocco was the poor man's Porsche.
never heard of that be4...how can Scirocco even compare to P-car?
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman