Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 15th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #1
bigb

Need help doing OBC + rear speaker upgrade (San Jose)

I posted this in another forum, but no love so far. Sorry for making you read a duplicate post if you also saw it elsewhere:

Guys, I'm in south San Jose, and am looking to do the OBC and rear speaker kit upgrades to my base 2001. I've never worked on my (or anyone else's) car prior to this, so although I've gone over the DIY guides etc., I am hoping to find someone who would like to join (help, really me in this quest. It'd be great (in fact, I'd even prefer it) if you need some work done on your car, so we can do all the work together.

I have all the items needed to do these upgrades (except for a dremel tool for shaping the rear box for the speakers -- not sure if it is absolutely required, or whether a knife will do the trick).

Thanks for reading!

PS : I don't have a specific day in mind, but am looking to do this on a weekend/evening on a day when its not raining (its supposed to rain a few days this week).
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #2
boxs2000

I was planning on changing my spark plugs, any one else want to do a work on car day?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #3
mikes_box

i did the obc hack before and have changed my car radio so i could help you out.... the obc hack i did was the switch so that i know how to do as i havent tried the stalk one because i didn't want to pay the bucks for it... i wouldn't mind doing a work on cars day...or a mini one...let me know...i'm on the peninsula...mike
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #4
ChrisZang

shouldn't your engine be cold for changing the spark plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000 View Post
I was planning on changing my spark plugs, any one else want to do a work on car day?
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #5
bigb

This is great - thanks for the responses guys. I'm also doing the button hack Mike, so it should be pretty similar. In fact, last evening I had some time so I created the wiring harness - hopefully it'll work.

If anyone else is interested in joining for the OBC hack, I have a few extras (all required connectors, 22 gauge wire etc.). For the logistics, since this is a small group (thus far), whats a good time/venue? Note that we'll need to jack up boxs2000's car for the spark plugs.
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #6
cas951

This sounds interesting. I'd like to join in. When and where? I'm available next weekend.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #7
boxs2000

I don't think cold is necessary, only cool enough so that you don't get burned.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #8
bigb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
This sounds interesting. I'd like to join in. When and where? I'm available next weekend.
Cas951, did you mean the weekend of the 27th? Although it is a little bit far off, I'll be happy to wait so we can all get together and do the work as a group.

Date: 10/28/07
Time: 10am

All, please pipe in if the above is an absolute showstopper for you.

One other thing I'd like all your input on is the location. Ideally, it'd be great to be able to use someone's garage/work-space - just in case it is raining, the car that is being worked on can sit in the garage. Does anyone have such a place, or ideas about where we could assemble and work? Oh, and I'll get us some beer
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #9
Peer

Count me in on the OBC hack -- mine is already turned on (thanks to Tool Pants), but I need to do the rocker-switch hookup.

-- peer
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #10
boxs2000

just let me know the date and venue. Dont worry about my spark plugs, I had some free time yesterday and did it. I may be interested in doing the OBC hack...hey group hack : )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman