Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Reviews

Reviews Your reviews about cars, tires, wheels, exhausts, performance mods, parts, accessories, places

Old July 13th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #1
offshore

ROW M030 First Impressions

On 07/12/2010 I picked up my ROW M030 suspension from Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley and drove south to Flintworks in Campbell, CA to have Alden Flint install it on my '99 Boxster. First I want to complement Alden for an excellent installation and, although this was the first ROW system he had installed, had it done in 5 hours. The time also included BS breaks as Alden does not mind if you stay around, ask questions, talk cars and life in general. The first thing I noticed was how new the car felt. Everything feels tight, like a new car, no rattles, shakes or shimmies while driving. It is definitely a stiffer ride, not uncomfortable stiff, but noticeably stiffer. In the 100+ miles I drove back home I encountered all types of surfaces, curves, corners and lane changes. The potholes in San Francisco were taken with ease as very little of the jarring was transmitted to the cabin, unlike the stock suspension. Lane changes at high speeds are quick and positive with no slop, you end up right where you pointed the car. Corners and off ramps are fast and sure with body roll well controlled and no noticeable over or under steer. So far this suspension mod has made a positive impression on me for daily driving and in a few weeks I'll have an opportunity to try it out in an AX so I'll add my impressions of it then. In a couple of months I'll be trying it out at a DE event at Laguna Seca and will have further comments.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Docdanracy

most of your new feel is in the shocks...
glad you feel your money was well spent You should enjoy the new suspension at your next AX and also at the track.
What did you do for alignment specs after the install?
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Blubox03

I look forward to see what you think of the new setup on the track! I am thinking about changing to ROW 030 this Winter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blubox03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #4
offshore

ROW M030 First Impressions Update

Yesterday, Saturday 08/07/2010 the PCA RR and the 912 Registry had a combined AX at the Santa Rosa Airport with perfect AX cool weather for the day. I had my first opportunity to try my Boxster with the ROW suspension. My first run was a disaster as I got over eager, with cold tires and an unfamiliar course and went off course and did several 180's before I got the car under control, which seemed like forever. I adjusted tire pressure for my second time out and backed off the accelerator and came in with a time I had expected to start with. My next three laps I was able to shave over a second off my starting time as tires were hot and pressures were stabilized. In the afternoon I took the first two runs to get tires warmed up again and kept my times where I had ended up in the first session then my fourth run I shaved another full second off my time and registered my best clean time of the day (they also stopped putting cones in my way). Before the ROW my best time had always been 7-8 seconds slower than the fastest time and this time my best was 5 seconds slower. The driver with the best time is a consistent winner at our AX's, one of the best driver's I've seen so far and has a stripped down 912 fully set up for AX. So I have to say at this point all things combined, new car feel, better ride, better handling and better AX time I'm very happy with the ROW and have no problem recommending it as an upgrade. Next is a DE day at Laguna Seca so I'll post a review of it then.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Reviews