Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 9th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #1
Westcoaster

Question Maintaining the battery while the car sits?

Rather then buying yet another battery charger (I have an automatic variable current monster, a 1A motorcycle unit and even a couple of solar trickle panels). Rather then buying the Porsche unit...

Is there anything special about the Porsche branded units?

Can I use the small motorcycle unit or a solar panel?

I am going away for a week, do I even need to worry?

Thanks

Last edited by Westcoaster; November 9th, 2006 at 09:32 AM.
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #2
dougmack

Battery Charger

I wouldn't worry about it for just a week.

My car lives in the garage for a couple of months during our very severe winter weather here in the bay area. I keep it on a trickle charger during that time. Mine has leads that attach directly to the battery. The advantage of the Porsche charger is that I understand that it plugs into the cigarette lighter - so, you save a minute or two making connections if you use the Porsche unit. I'm happy with mine.

I think it's a good thing for the battery to be on a trickle charger if the car isn't going to run for a month or so.

Doug
dougmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmack
I wouldn't worry about it for just a week.

My car lives in the garage for a couple of months during our very severe winter weather here in the bay area. I keep it on a trickle charger during that time. Mine has leads that attach directly to the battery. The advantage of the Porsche charger is that I understand that it plugs into the cigarette lighter - so, you save a minute or two making connections if you use the Porsche unit. I'm happy with mine.

I think it's a good thing for the battery to be on a trickle charger if the car isn't going to run for a month or so.

Doug
Good to hear that a week doesn't normally present a problem.

The trickle charger that you use, is it about 1 amp as well?
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4
baxter

we go away for a week at a time and have never had a problem. after three or four years, it would not surprise me for a problem to develop, as the battery nears the end of it's useful life. but unless you have an old battery, i would say no problem.
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #5
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I leave my car at home two weeks every year and the only issue is you have to use the key to unlock the door the first time. No worries for a week hiatus.
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #6
Crashcup

What does it say about the state of the battery if I have to use a key to open the car after only a week sitting in the garage?
Crashcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashcup
What does it say about the state of the battery if I have to use a key to open the car after only a week sitting in the garage?
It says that it's behaving normally as the remote option shuts down after 5 days to help conserve the battery.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #8
mikefocke

I am nervous

when I hear people talk of trickle chargers or even 1A changers.

I want a maintainer/tender for use on my battery, one that turns itself off after the battery is detected as charged, then wakes up every once in a while and checks and either goes back to sleep or charges till the limit is detected and then sleeps.

I agree that 1-2 weeks is OK to leave the car without a maintainer on it. And that the "I'm awake and trying to sense that you have pressed the remote key fob" circuit turns off after a while so it won't continue to drain the battery. So use the key.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #9
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
I am nervous

when I hear people talk of trickle chargers or even 1A changers.

I want a maintainer/tender for use on my battery, one that turns itself off after the battery is detected as charged, then wakes up every once in a while and checks and either goes back to sleep or charges till the limit is detected and then sleeps.

I agree that 1-2 weeks is OK to leave the car without a maintainer on it. And that the "I'm awake and trying to sense that you have pressed the remote key fob" circuit turns off after a while so it won't continue to drain the battery. So use the key.
So I would assume that from your comment the Porsche unit is a true 'maintainer' style? (both models?)
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #10
dougmack

Charger

I miss-spoke. The device that I put on my battery is a maintainer; not a trickle charger. I think I got it from Performance Products. When I get home, I'll find it and add an entry with the brand and model number.

Doug
dougmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman