Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #1
nvkris

A shocking question - M030 Bilstein

Hey all,
I recently purchased a 2001 Boxster S with the M030 (sport touring package) suspension. It has 70k Miles on it, and the car bounces pretty bad. One mechanic and a couple PCA guys told me the shocks need to be replaced.
I've gone on the net to look for Porsche OEM shocks, but every single web site seems to only list 2 kinds of shocks (if any) for Boxsters. The Bilstein SP and Bilstein HD.
So my question, are these the Porsche OEM parts? Which is the one I need to pair up with my M030 springs. I prefer to go with stock as my daily commute is 30 miles each way, and they're pretty hard for highway 101 already!

Any help in purchasing OEM M030 shocks would greatly be appreciated. I'm presuming going to dealers is only going to get me looted. And so looking online for parts and also for mechanics.

- thank you!
nvkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #2
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

With the US M030 suspension, you would want the Bilstein HD shocks. The SP's are designed for use with lowering springs. The HD's are probably not identical to the stock M030 shocks, but my guess is that they are very similar (perhaps a bit softer). In your shoes, that's what I would use.
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #3
KenJ

I think you're right. I've got an old chart somewhere (from Kraus) that showed the small variances between some adjustable HDs and Sports. There was a large overlap area between the two.

However, when I spoke a long time ago to Bilstein, my recollection is that they said the regular HD and Sport were identical except for length.

kj
KenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #4
nvkris

Thanx for the info guys! The Bilsteins are an approximation is what I gathered. If I wanted the exact same stock shocks then is there any source I could go to?
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #5
Tom M
Site Founder

If you want true OEM shocks you can always buy them from a dealer. The 2 to check out for prices would be Suncoast Porsche in Florida and Sunset Imports in Oregon as both have pretty decent prices as far as dealers go.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #6
arenared

The OE are made by Bilstein. The only difference between HD and SP is the shaft length (on Boxsters). The fronts are about 10% stiffer in compression and the rears are about 10% stiffer in rebound. The minor differences help improve steering responsiveness (and dampen the bobbing in the front) while helping to cut down on snap oversteer. Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty and can be obtained cheaper online than OE. On the downside, Bilstein quality control is a joke. Of 4 pairs I've ordered, EVERY set was missing something or something was damaged. Apparently, the problem is that Bilstein freely ships their parts around to different shops/dealers/distributors/etc. and freely takes them back without checking to see what is in the box. They are good about it when you call and yell at them, but it is a hassle.
arenared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #7
nvkris

Would you know the Bilstein part number that matches M030 of an S?

I also heard that the default OE supplier is Sachs, which supposedly sachs in longevity. So I should not go to a dealer in case I end up with sachy sachs. (Apologies, I like to pun, as you can see).

Tom, I just received OEM shock quotes from Carlsen (306 rears, 339 fronts) and Sunset imports (218 fronts, 197 rears!). Tony of TC Design, where I was planning to take it for installation, says that sounds fishy as the markup on the OEMs are not so much. What's your gut feel?

Last edited by nvkris; June 16th, 2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #8
Tom M
Site Founder

Actually that sounds about right as far as the discounts go as local dealers are pretty high and Sunset sells at something like 10% over cost to out of state buyers. You could double check with Suncoast in Florida or Fremont Porsche (which should provide a 10% discount if you mention Babblers).

Were those prices for the pairs or for each shock?
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #9
nvkris

Each! i.e. a total including shipping of ~1024$ Interesting thing is, I just sent a farewell mail to Carlsen that I'd be going with the other dealer, and they agreed to match the price!

Speaking of which, I also happened to notice the whole ROW 030 kit for 999$ at suncoast. I've been reading about it in this website, and am thinking I'm getting a set of springs too. So does it make sense to shift over? Any chance the US M030 springs are going to fail on me in the future too? The only issue is that the Boxster is also my commuter car for 30 miles each way of highway driving, and wouldnt want it stiffer at all. Hmmmm...
Old June 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Tony probably thought the Sunset price on the Porsche shocks was "fishy" because it's pretty close to an aggressive internet price on the Bilstein HD's ($807 for set of four with free shipping from shockwarehouse.com). I certainly would have expected them to cost more with a Porsche part number on them.

The ROW 030 kit is a great deal for shocks, springs and sway bars IF you want what it gives you: lower ride height, more negative camber, slightly stiffer shocks and springs (I think). However, I don't think you need to worry about your original springs wearing out. Steel springs don't suffer from fatigue.
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA) is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman