Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 25th, 2002, 05:04 PM   #1
Eddie from SoCal

Continuing the "custom exhaust" discussion

So I found this picture on the fabspeed website, how can this be modified to produce a more "throaty" sound??

Old September 25th, 2002, 05:31 PM   #2
Tool Pantsİ

The Frankenstein muffler - still have not sold your 2.7 muffler? *NM*

http://www.babblers.org/board/archive.pl?read=17640
Old September 25th, 2002, 05:46 PM   #3
Eddie from SoCal

Yeah, still have it. I thought it would be "fun" to open it up and see

what could be done. I just don't know how these things work, so I have no idea what would need to be modified.

After reading the link in your post about the RSR Exhaust, I don't think I have the right tools for the job anyway! Oh well, I'm still interested though, if someone knows a good -- relatively inexpensive -- shop in SoCal...
Old September 25th, 2002, 05:47 PM   #4
Stevec

Re: Continuing the "custom exhaust" discussion

Place in trash can replace with GHL, FABSPEED ETC>
LOL

Look at the design, the intake pipes are pointing right at each other, you'd think that would impeed flow.
Old September 27th, 2002, 08:08 AM   #5
jonathan

Change the chamber porting

It looks like they've done a multiple resonant chamber design similar to what a speaker manufacturer does. Bose does the most work with multiple chambers since they try to make a poor quality driver turn out decent sound. With multiple resonant frequqncies they can try to boost the areas where the driver is lacking.

In Porsche's case they are trying to both damp unwanted frequencies and possibly boost desired frequencies. I have no idea exactly what this one does but if you recorded the input exhaust pulses, the resulting exhaust output pulses and muffler geometry you could probably model it and then adjust to the sound that you want. From the muffler you'd need the chamber arrangement (how they are connected), the chamber volumes, and the tube diameters and lengths. Speaker modeling software would probably handle it although you might have to change the fluid constants since exhaust has different characteristics than air.

Could be a fun experiment. Anyone know the muffler geometry?

jonathan

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman