Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 12th, 2001, 07:20 AM   #1
x99shark

New V1 mounting idea

Hey Guys, Girls, and Barbie Boxster.

I installed my V1 this weekend. I have the wiring done. The V1 is clipped on to the passenger size visor, with the remote display on the driver's side.

I like that location for the V1 and am going to keep it there. But I am going to make it more invisible. I'm placing an order for leather from Spinneybeck and am going to build a matching leather enclosure for the V1 that hides all of the V1 except the volume/control knobs, the rear facing detector horn, and the front facing detector horn. It will be attached to the visor with a velcro-ized leather strap that wraps around the visor. This will disgise the V1 enough so it doesn't scream out "STEAL ME" to anyone walking past the car.

The thing is I need to make a minimum order of either a full or half hide from Spinneybeck. This is more leather than I need for one job. Anyone want to go in with me on this? There is also a fair amount of work to getting the first one just right. I wouldn't mind sharing that task either. Maybe make an event out of it?

FWIW I do have leatherworking experience. Come see my custom built S&M room. (kidding)

regards
-Ed
Old February 12th, 2001, 09:17 AM   #2
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

Re: New V1 mounting idea

Could this leather be used to cover Dan's V1 box? If so, I would be interested.

Yoseif
Old February 12th, 2001, 09:23 AM   #3
Magic Mtn Dan

Yes Ed, one of my to-do's is to get black leather to cover the V1 Box...

so count me in - how much are you talking about cost-wise and for how much leather (square feet)?

I assume it can be cut to size fairly easily and then contact cemented on to the box? Once I get mine done (and we do Yoseif's), others will want to do the same I'm sure.

Please keep me posted!

And e-mail me your contact info if you don't mind me having your phone number (can't call you on the weekend without it)...
Old February 12th, 2001, 09:42 AM   #4
x99shark

sorta mostly

Sure, you can cover anything with leather.

The box is a different form factor so its going to be a different template than just covering the unit but we can do that too.

Also, I am ordering black leather to match the color and texture of the visor. So would you be happy with that? If we tried to match everyone's interior color (other than black) it gets really expensive unless we have a large number of people going for the same color. You have to minimum order hides.

If you're curious about the goods, see www.spinneybeck.com.

I'll get hide pricing info today and post that later on.
Old February 12th, 2001, 09:48 AM   #5
x99shark

construction

hey Dan

I would actually reverse hand stitch a slip-on glove-like leather enclosure. There is also a small amount of thin padding used to give the unit nice edges and texture. It may be possible to avoid cement.

will email you shortly...

-Ed
Old February 12th, 2001, 09:53 AM   #6
Magic Mtn Dan

Have to look and see how the visor cover compares to rollbar cover and...

the seat leather too. Not sure which one should be matched without looking at the car but I'm guessing it should be like the rollbar cover.

By the way, covering the V1 Stealth Box in leather should be a three-piece affair:

1. Front - flat piece with hole cut to match hole in box

2. Rear - flat piece

3. Cover and two sides - I envision this being one-piece wrapped. By putting this piece on last it would cover the edges of the front and back pieces of leather.
Old February 12th, 2001, 10:24 AM   #7
Magic Mtn Dan

Well, that's how YOU would do it...

I'd probably do it the same way if (a) I knew how and (b) knew I could do it

I'm willing to accept your talented help!
Old February 12th, 2001, 10:53 AM   #8
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

Re: sorta mostly

Black would be fine. I think I would only need the sides and top covered. Not the front and back.

Yoseif
Old February 12th, 2001, 11:13 AM   #9
x99shark

Pricing info

I have some more leather samples arriving Wed. Will use those to determine the best match in texture. After that I can order a half hide. That will run $250 - $450 (for approx 30 sqft)depending on which leather is the best fit. So figure on materials costs runing about $20 pp. Maybe a little depending on how much "waste factor" there is in getting the first one right.

cheers
-Ed

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman