Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 26th, 2001, 12:46 AM   #1
HP in SF

POLL: V1 owners...

How much do you trust your V1 in warning you when radar is being used to observe your speed on Bay Area freeways. Use the following scale:

5 (V1 lets me do 100+mph with no worries)
4 (With V1, I generally keep it under 100mph without having to watch my mirrors)
3 (With V1, I'll do 20 over limit but I still watch my mirrors)
2 (With V1, I keep it within 15 mph of limit to be safe)
1 (With V1, I'm still a chicken and always drive speed limit)
Old February 26th, 2001, 12:53 AM   #2
"Foosball" Brian Harrington

5-- no wait, 4 but...

I frequently notice CHP patrolling with radar on, as X99Shark can attest to.

Just today on 280S in SJ a CHP patrol vehicle was screaming through the fast lane at 85mph+ with no radar.

So, yeah I'll stick with 4.
-Brian
Old February 26th, 2001, 08:05 AM   #3
Spence in San Jose

3 - regularly at 90mph

I would say I am a 3. I kick it to 90 regularly but I am on the mirrors like a hawk and will slow down some for on ramps. I think being on the lookout is what has saved me from getting any tickets.

I've had my V1 for 2 months and the Boxster for 3 months(last Sat.)/3000 satisfying miles, and I have only seen the CHP using radar on the freeway once. That was on 280N on the way to Dyno Day. And even then it wasn't because they were trying to nail people. It seemed as though they were trying to warn people about the rollover accident ahead.

Spence
Old February 26th, 2001, 08:37 AM   #4
x99shark

I usually keep it unde 100, but try to keep my eyes open. I'm the guy who was pulled over buy a cop using no radar or laser. He was parked on the side of the road when I passed him no less.

-Ed
Old February 26th, 2001, 09:32 AM   #5
Brian Harrington (SJ,CA)

that would be "with NO radar on"

sorry... NOw it makes sense.
Old February 26th, 2001, 12:00 PM   #6
HP in SF

3.5 for myself too

Having had the V1 for only 3 weeks, I've found that I've passed CHP patrols going in the opposite direction and had no warnings. This lead me to suspect that they don't always have their radar on when patrolling.

At first, I was driving like I usually do, watching my mirrors and onramps to learn V1's behavior but it seems most people still actively do that even with V1's added protection.

Sometimes, it makes me wonder why I bought a sports car that can top out at 160+ mph when I can't even enjoy cruising at 80-100 mph without worrying about being cited for speeding.
Old February 26th, 2001, 12:59 PM   #7
Ron Leavitt

3.5 too. under 100 glued to the rearviews.

The "key" is don't be the fastest car on the road. 2nd fastest works for me.

Ron
Old February 26th, 2001, 01:14 PM   #8
Jay in SF

because you know you CAN do 160+ mph! me i'm a 3 too. *NM*

Old February 26th, 2001, 02:40 PM   #9
HP in SF

*NM*

Old February 26th, 2001, 04:14 PM   #10
Magic Mtn Dan

3-plus - You ALWAYS have to watch your mirrors!

The vast majority of tickets written by the CHP for speeding do NOT involve their use of radar or laser. They are masters at pacing cars - they jump on the freeway and go after the first car they see exceeding their speed. Bingo! Dead meat.

If you don't watch your mirrors and look around (up/down on-ramps especially), you're a dead duck looking to be basted by the CHP.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman