Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 17th, 2002, 07:32 PM   #1
Chatter Box

Interesting part information

As I mentioned before, I recently had my clutch replaced. I noticed some 996 part numbers on my receipt and initially blew it off since the S shares a lot of parts with the 996. But it turns out, this is actually a change. The parts catalog actually states the outdated original 986 part numbers while the online computer parts catalog (what the dealers use) lists the new parts.

Part Old Part New Part
----------------------------------------------------
pressure plate 986-116-027-00 996-116-027-06
clutch disk 986-116-013-00 same
release bearing ?? 996-116-080-04

Interesting note, according to one parts department, the correct updated part number for the throwout bearing is ...01E-141-165-b while I got the 996 part listed above (throwout bearing and release bearing are 2 terms for the same part, right?)

Okay, somebody help me with a nitpicky question. Having, once or twice in my life burned the hell out of a clutch, I recognize the smell easily. I've had my car for a few days now and I have committed ZERO sins (no slipping it, no drop clutch starts, no downshifts without matching rpms, etc). But, I do smell some light clutch odor when I get out of the car. Is this a normal part of break-in and if so, how long is it expected to last?

Also, my clutch chatter is gone for the most part and feels really good from a standing start. But I find that when I engage the clutch in 1st while rolling about 5 or 6 mph, I get some loud chatter. Can you guys try this and tell me if you hear it too? Pretty please?
Old June 17th, 2002, 08:17 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

I don't have any problems with my clutch.

I don't recall if it had any odor when new but then that probably means it didn't.
Old June 17th, 2002, 08:24 PM   #3
Chatter Box

Re: I don't have any problems with my clutch.

So you can engage 1st at 5mph with no noise?
Old June 17th, 2002, 08:33 PM   #4
Tool Pants©

I think you need a tip with the way you drive

Release bearing and throw-out bearing are the same terms. From your report looks like the Boxster S and 996 now share the same pressure plate or it is just a part number change.

996 clutch disc from Pete on the 996 board

And another, the pressure plate. The spotty look means that it has been subject to heat.

Old June 17th, 2002, 08:43 PM   #5
Chatter Box

Easy, now.

Did you notice I said I "don't" do those things anymore? I was pretty hard on my clutch from miles 1000-12000 but have been very easy on it ever since. The problem is I burned it pretty bad a couple of times during my early phase and my pressure plate was indeed quite spotty.

I had all the parts replaced and thought everything should drive like brand new. It's been so long, I'm not sure I remember what brand new is like.

I do a good job matching rpms on downshifts and I start very gently from a standing start. It seems to be functioning normally in these cases although I do get some odor which I don't think should be there. As far as starting from 5mph (such as when you come out of gear in traffic to keep from stalling, and then need to re-engage gear again before coming to a complete stop), I hear chatter. 5mph is about 800rpm in 1st which is almost exacly idle speed so blipping isn't needed. What do you guys do in this case? And I'm asking about throttle/clutch pedal technique, not some irrelevant answer like don't come out of gear or come to a complete stop. The main reason for my question is I wanted to know if every Boxster clutch makes this noise in this situation or if it's just mine.
Old June 17th, 2002, 08:43 PM   #6
Chatter Box

And by the way...

yes, it's the same pressure plate used in the 3.4L 996 according to the parts guy.
Old June 17th, 2002, 10:18 PM   #7
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Do you mean while the car is rolling?

As in press in the clutch and then let it back out with the car still rolling slowly? I don't normally do that but will give it a try tomorrow. I *have* done similar with 2nd gear while pulling up to a red light that's about to change w/o any problems.
Old June 17th, 2002, 10:30 PM   #8
Chatter Box

Re: Do you mean while the car is rolling?

I think we're talking about the same thing. Strangely enough, I get better results in 2nd as well.

There are a lot of situations where you think it's time to come out of gear (I do it when I slow to less than 7 or 8mph) and then find out that either the light turns green or the guy in front of you starts going etc and you don't want to come to a complete stop. In those situations, I sometimes pull it through with 2nd but I really don't like to use 2nd under 10 or 11mph. So, I find myself in the situation where I feel like I should use 1st but the speed is so low and 1st is geared so small that you can't really blip it because the "right" rpm would be just a smidge under idle. (our cars don't like to be driven at a steady speed under 7mph since that's about 1k rpm.)

Anyway, give it a shot and let me know if you hear a clater on engagement. Basically start rolling in neutral around 5 or 6 mph and then put it in 1st and let out the clutch pedal. If you add any throttle you'll probably jerk the engagement backwards as the wheels slow the engine back down so I typically do it with .0005% throttle. It makes a really annoying noise.
Old June 18th, 2002, 05:04 AM   #9
jonathan

No noise from mine on slow re-engagement *NM*

Old June 18th, 2002, 08:59 AM   #10
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

I just tried this several time this AM and found that

it all works as expected. No extraneous noise or motions. If the speed is matched then it all just slides in w/o any effort or car shuddering. If the speed is off then the car motion is caused either by engine breaking of the engine trying to get the car to go based on the higher revs. However in no case did the clutch mechanism make any noise whatsoever.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman