Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 10th, 2002, 05:34 PM   #1
richard

01 "S' second gear question

I shifted from 1st to 2nd at low rpm and was running at about 3000 rpm on flat 35 mph street, when my wife said that I was not in gear. Noticed that I was just coasting but the rpm was at about 4200. Never heard or saw gear pop out of 2nd. Not sure if I was in 2nd gear to begin with althrough I could have swore I shifted into 2nd. Anyway, if it poped out by itself, it was never noticed. My question is: was running the engine at 4200 rpm out of gear for about 3 to 5 seconds very bad. Yhis has never happened before in 4500 miles. It ran perfect afterwards on the remaining drive home. Also, could it have poped out of gear in a silent way? Anyone experience this unique happening? Thanks for any informative responses.
Old August 10th, 2002, 05:59 PM   #2
Eric in Dallas

Re: Relax. Not a problem.

If it happens again (doubtful) it can more than likely be corrected with a shift linkage adjustment.
Old August 10th, 2002, 06:08 PM   #3
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Running at low RPM with no load for short periods is NOT a problem

Just think of it as a slight engine rev while sitting at a stop light with the clutch in. Basically the same thing. If the transmission popped out of gear you most likely would have heard/felt it happen if it was under any sort of a load. It's more likely you simply hit the shift gate and thought it was in gear. Happens to the best of us from time to time.

I'd say just enjoy the car and not get too worried over minor things.
Old August 10th, 2002, 06:15 PM   #4
richard

Re: Running at low RPM with no load for short periods is NOT a problem

Thanks for the response, But is 4200 rpm for 5 seconds considered low rpm? I can't help being anal about this car and its almost 2 years old.
Old August 10th, 2002, 07:50 PM   #5
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

I replied to your email. *NM*

Old August 11th, 2002, 05:45 AM   #6
Magic Mtn Dan

Don't worry, be happy...

you could've run it up to redline and it wouldn't have hurt anything.

I'm sure (positive) that you didn't do any harm to your car.

And you need to remember something - you have about two years left on your warranty! That's a good thing.

Go enjoy your car and stop being quite so anal.

Old August 11th, 2002, 09:48 AM   #7
Scott Fisher (Redwood Shores)

It's only too low if you were on the track...

in which case you should be @ 6000rpm for 10 sec. There is nothing wrong with driving your car from 3k-6k for sustained periods. Drive and enjoy....I doubt you could break it even if you tried! But, even if you did, its under warranty... a win-win.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman