Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 6th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #1
davezaristo

Question regarding desnorkeling a 987

Has anyone on babblers done it? Any issue with water getting into the snorkel? I am tempting to do it but heard about the water problem at other forums and have been kind of backing off...please feel free to comment..thanks!
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #2
baxter

i asked this question on another forum and boxsterbob says that someone did it on his 987, but that his gas milage went to pot so he put the snorkle back in........ perhaps bob will comment further here..........
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #3
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

"Kevin the Slow" over on PPBB desnorked his 987, drove to a destination and back and noticed the MPG dropped excessively. He resnorked and drove the same route and the MPG returned to normal. That's the only incident I'm aware of. My 986 is de-snorked with no problems.
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - San Carlos
My 986 is de-snorked with no problems.
Bob, I was thinking of doing the same thing with my 986 MY 99 but wasn't sure if there's a problem in the future that will arise coz' of it. Can I hear yours this Saturday and probably get some pointers on how to do it

PCA/G.G.R. Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...09/4hbv4mc.jpg
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #5
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Sure thing!
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #6
davezaristo

The decrease in MPG is totally new to me as i've only heard about water and cigarette bud can potentially get into the intake box. Hopefully there's a 987 during sat. meet so that i can check out how it sounds...hard to resist doing this freebie mod that yields about 5hp gain as dynoed...
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #7
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezaristo
The decrease in MPG is totally new to me as i've only heard about water and cigarette bud can potentially get into the intake box. Hopefully there's a 987 during sat. meet so that i can check out how it sounds...hard to resist doing this freebie mod that yields about 5hp gain as dynoed...
now I have an excuse to tell my wife...this Saturday is not only to see the cars and meet the owners and member of this forum, it is also to learn how to increase the power of the Boxster free of charge

PCA/G.G.R. Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...09/4hbv4mc.jpg
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #8
baxter

it's a little far for me to make it for the thing this weekend, but i really hope you guys will have a good time, and then come back and report on some of these things. will de-snorkle kill my gas mileage? what is the difference in sound? anything anyone can add will be greatly appreciated.
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #9
blinkwatt

My car is desnorkled w/ the updated intake grille($12 from Sunset). The new one is redesigned w/ the two lower "fins" connected to prevent such a thing as cigarettes from entering the grille. I haven't noticed a drop in MPG or an power increase of any kind,just an increase in the intake sound.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #10
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Same here, no probs, no MPG drop, but I understand the 2.5l benefits the most from de-snorking!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.