Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Gerry

99 TIP Tranny concerns? :-(

Hello there! I know it's been awhile...growing up and getting matured is taking it's toll on me

While driving this morning, I noticed the following in order:
- Shifter is on D mode and I notice the gear shift down from 5 to 4 and the MPH went down from 75 to 60 and when I stepped on my gas, the RPM went all the way to 4k but my speed didn't change.

- After switching it from D mode to M mode, everything is fine.

- Slight uphill to my work, still on the M mode, my foot was on the gas but it's not moving, so I downshift to 3 and let go of the gas pedal, RPM was on 1.5k, speed was on 5 mph but the indicator shows still on the 3rd gear. So I stepped on the gas pedal again and nothing change.

There's no CEL light on the dashboard or any other light except my airbag.

what do you think it is?

PCA/G.G.R. Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...09/4hbv4mc.jpg
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #2
george g

Did you do any maintenance or changes to the car recently?
george g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #3
offshore

How many miles on the car? Do you have any blinking lights on the Tip section of the dash?
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Gerry

nope..except for regular oil change and just recently got my brakes fix, about a month ago.

I'm suspecting that I need a transmission service and I hope it is not too late..no serious damage *crossing finger* It has 86k miles already and the last time the major service was done was 37k mi. ago

PCA/G.G.R. Member

Old October 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Gerry

it has 86k mi, and no blinking lights

PCA/G.G.R. Member

Old October 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #6
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
it has 86k mi, and no blinking lights
I was having a few random odd things going on with my Tip, not as bad as yours, and they all cleared up after I had mine serviced at 86K miles.
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Gerry

*UPDATE*
driving home at 75mph, i notice that the rpm is above 3k and if i let go of the gas pedal, it will go down "immediately" to 65mph and once i stepped on the gas pedal again, it takes just a few sec to accelarate again and rpm goes to 35k before it shift again.

PCA/G.G.R. Member

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman