Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1
tjorgeson

AntiFreeze due at 73k?

I have been told it is a good idea to replace the antifreeze in my 99 Boxster with 73k on her, which sounds reasonable. When I inquired about the cost of the job at a local shop they also recommended replacing the water pump as well as it has a plastic impeller. This also sounds like it might be good advice. They quoted 895$ Any thoughts?
tjorgeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #2
ppbon

Why mess with something that's working fine?

Porsche says that their coolant is good for the life of the car.
That's a long time, so I decided to replace mine at 175,000 miles.
It still looked clean and clear.
Generally the water pump will give you a little warning such as louder sound and or small coolant leak.
But at 207,000 miles my water pump is still the original one.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjorgeson View Post
I have been told it is a good idea to replace the antifreeze in my 99 Boxster with 73k on her, which sounds reasonable. When I inquired about the cost of the job at a local shop they also recommended replacing the water pump as well as it has a plastic impeller. This also sounds like it might be good advice. They quoted 895$ Any thoughts?

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
JFP in PA

Unless the antifreeze mix has become contaminated (usually cloudy and off color), or fails pH and/or freeze point testing, you can leave it alone. The OEM stuff has a pretty long life, often going well beyond 100K with absolutely no issues.

As for the pump, if it ainít leaking or making noises, leave it alone.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM   #4
tjorgeson

Thanks
tjorgeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:13 AM   #5
bapcha

Lifetime! Does it have Teflon in it or something? This is the stuff people use to kill their "loved ones" - correct? :-) :-)
bapcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:52 PM   #6
mikefocke

This is one of those eternal questions...

How much preventative maintenance should you do. The answer varies from $0 worth to $10k depending on your wallet and your risk tolerance and who you listen to.

Will working on a car introduce more problems than it prevents? You'll only know long after the decision is made.

Both Pedro and JFP have lots more experience maintaining Porsche cars than the average here...much much more. Yet there are also those I respect who also have great experience who would differ with their answers.

And then if you do replace the pump do you replace with a Porsche-branded part or one from some other supplier that is said by some very knowledgeable types to be superior?

Good luck with your decision.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman