Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 26th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #1
davidsf

new weird sound

So this morning on my way to work I noticed a new sound coming from the engine compartment. It sounds like a faint "chug chug chug" that goes faster as I go faster. At freeway speeds I can't really hear it. At idle it's "chug chug chug..." like maybe a belt has frayed and part of it's hitting something or perhaps a bearing problem. It's not loud, but very noticeable. I've driven about 50 miles so far. Any ideas what the problem might be? Should I take it to the dealer immediately? TIA.
davidsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #2
baxter

sounds a little like when my water pump went out..........
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #3
flintworks

It could also be an alternator. I just replaced one on Friday for a noise that could only be heard at idle. BTW why would you take it to the dealer?????
http://www.flintworksauto.com/porsche
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
flintworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #4
davidsf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintworks View Post
It could also be an alternator. I just replaced one on Friday for a noise that could only be heard at idle. BTW why would you take it to the dealer?????
Should I take it to Flintworks instead? I have looked into independent mechanics before and what I've found was that with the 10% discount I got from the dealer the prices were comparable, with sometimes the dealer being less. For example I called Kahler's and asked for a quote on changing the spark plugs, serpentine belt, and fuel pump (60k service replacement items), with me supplying the parts, and they quoted me a price slightly higher than what the dealer (Michael Stead Porsche) wanted.

BTW, I can hear the sound at idle and driving around town. The sound "gets faster" the faster I go. It sounds like it may be the water pump? Does the sound mean the water pump is broken or about to break? Temperature reading has been normal.
davidsf is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman