Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 29th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #1
biloxiboxster

Thumbs up Caliper Paint

Recently painted the calipers on my 2000 Boxster. Picked up the paint at AutoZone then cleaned and masked calipers. After 6 coats of paint added heat resistant decals from eBay. Just replaced rotors and pads resulting in a few chips which were easily touched up. Highly recommend this very inexpensive project that adds a lot of detail and pop to the car. Here are pics.
Attached Thumbnails
caliper 1.jpg   caliper 2.jpg   caliper 3.jpg   caliper 4.jpg  
biloxiboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
offshore

What color and type of paint from AZ please and is the spray can clear coat? Did you brush on the red? Did you clean the calipers and with what?
Thanks!
Old October 30th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #3
biloxiboxster

Duplicolor Red Caliper Paint Kit - comes with sand paper, stir stick and brush. This is cool paint. It requires several coats but dries very fast, fills in nicely and has a hard high gloss finish. I was able to do one side using the car's jack plus a floor jack. By the time you put one coat on the front or rear, the other is ready for the next coat. It dries that fast. I am sure they sell other colors but that is the only color AZ stocks. It is also available in spray but the bush paint seems a lot thicker and more durable. It does not require clear coat as it dries with an incredibly hard and glossy finish after several coats. Note: the first couple of coats will look like crap but after several it is beautiful. Whole job took about an hour each side.

The spray paint in the photo is satin black I used on the lug studs which were previously silver and freckled with rust. I also used brake cleaner spray to clean the calipers first.

One other thing. Please note I masked and painted only the front half of the caliper as that is all that is visible through the wheel. Saved a lot of time and mess. I have enough paint left over to do at least four more calipers.

Here are some additional photos of the process - before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
caliper 6.jpg   caliper 7.jpg   caliper 8.jpg   caliper 9.jpg   caliper 10.jpg  

biloxiboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #4
offshore

Thanks Biloxiboxster this is exactly what I needed as I only have to refinish the front flat area that has PORSCHE on it and don't have a place for spray on. Good job!
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:49 PM   #5
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Nice job! I used the G2 Paint kit, brush on, not spray. I did mine 3 or 4 years ago, but they look just as good today.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman