Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:46 PM   #1
DenVogel

Question Sport Mode Upgrade

Hi. Can anyone offer their experience with Porsche Sport Mode software upgrade? I got a card from Carlsen offering a 10% discount. I'm all for more performance, but frankly am having a hard time figuring out what you get for the money. The best description I have found is on Suncoast. I have a 2007 base Boxster with manual transmission (no PDK). No PASM or sport exhaust.

So it looks like that kills launch control, suspension stiffening, sport exhaust note and leaves me with a "sport" button that make "throttle response significantly more immediate, adjusts the rev-limiter to a harder setting". ~$1,200 seems like a lot for something that's not even quantified, and appears to be tailored to the PDK cars.

Am I missing something?
DenVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #2
mikefocke

TINTAAFL (There is no such thing as a free lunch)

You should do a flash only after you have done all the other mods to your engine that you are going to do. The flash should be tailored to your specific engine, proven on a dyno and with tests runs in the real world before you accept it.

I know of an expert who took a week of flashes and runs before he got a driveable car and that car had some serious mods.

Beware the one size fits all solution offered in the back of the magazines.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #3
SteveW

The Porsche upgrade is basically adding the sport mode button that normally comes only with the sport chrono option. (So now you can have the sport button without the dashboard wart) This is a big help for PDK cars where it changes the shift points but less important for 6 speeds. (On the 6 speed cars it pretty much changes the throttle map and that's about it...)
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #4
DenVogel

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Beware the one size fits all solution offered in the back of the magazines.
Hi Mike. I'm not sure what you're referring to. The Sport Mode I am talking about is a Porsche factory offered upgrade.
DenVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #5
mikefocke

You'll have to excuse me, the reference to Carlsen caused this US-based poster to assume that it was one of the one size fits all "chips" that are frequently disasters in terms of driveability and a waste of money. Sport has been used for so many option names.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Tags
sport