Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 14th, 2001, 03:45 PM   #1
Asim Husain

Oil Change question - related to Jim Russel High Perf Driving School

Hi All-

I have signed up to attend Jim Russel's High Performance Driving school on November 19th.

I have a 01' SYS and I am not due for scheduled maintenance for another couple of months. JR suggest that you have atleast one oil change prior to attending the class. Does anyone know of a reputable oil change place (non dealer) where I can go in SF or on the peninsula, and the approx cost. I am not inclined to spend too much on an oil change when I will have to go for my scheduled maintenance in a month.

Also JR recommended I go synthetic I am sure this has been discussed in great detail..any advice would be appreciated.

Are any BABBLERS attending the Nov 19th class?

Regrds

Asim
Old November 14th, 2001, 09:33 PM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

Re: Oil Change question - related to Jim Russel High Perf Driving School

First of all, congrats on going to Jim Russell - it should be great!

And now...

You didn't say how many miles you have on your '01 S but you did say that you're going to do your scheduled maintenance in a month. Does that mean that your car is coming up on a year or 15,000 miles? Even though Porsche doesn't tell you to change the oil and filter before 15,000 miles, that (in my opinion) is way too long.

Your first oil change is one of the most (the most?) important. I think it should be done by 5,000 miles. As for cost, you can certainly do it yourself. And what you can do is get your car in for the "scheduled maintenance" now - why wait? That way you get the service done (early is better than late) and it's done before your driving school which is a good thing too.

Enjoy your driving experience. And I'm sure you love your car and you'll dig the driving school - it's worth it to change the oil and filter more often than what Porsche recommends.
Old November 14th, 2001, 10:36 PM   #3
Asim Husain

Re: Oil Change question - related to Jim Russel High Perf Driving School

Dan-

Thanks for the feedback, I took delivery of the car in Jan so I already have 11,000 miles on it with no oil change

I will get an oil change done this weekend!!

Will post feedback next week on the Jim Russell experience

Regrds

Asim ('01 SYS)

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman