Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:16 PM   #1
Rich in Almaden Valley

Check your bolts...

During a weekend cleaning and wiping down of my door jambs, I found a bolt resting loosly in the front section of my door jambs. After thinking about this and searching for correct location for this bolt, I finally found that it had dropped out of the lower passenger side hinge. I then proceeded to check the remaining bolts - with two others also loose.

I suggest you check your bolts so you don't drop one and lodge it between the hinge and your jamb - causing damage or worse, droping two bolts and losing a door (makes me cringe at the thought).

Rich in Almaden Valley
MY'00 2.7 BW/GG/GG (31k smiles)
Old May 28th, 2002, 04:59 PM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

What's it look like?

I found one in the location you mentioned but I couldn't find the source. Perhaps (sounds like) this is it...
Old May 28th, 2002, 04:59 PM   #3
Tool Pantsİ

Good tip Rich

There was a change made in 2001. Also check the triple square bolt for the door stay.

Like to see posts with some technical advise.

Jeff
Old May 28th, 2002, 05:35 PM   #4
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Yes. I had a similar problem...

I noticed that my driver side door was creaking. One of the bolts was loose. I periodically need to tighten it.
Old May 29th, 2002, 06:06 AM   #5
Rich in Almaden Valley

I think it's 10mm...

Tool Pants has a great diagram showing where they go. Let me know if you need more info.
Old May 29th, 2002, 06:41 AM   #6
Magic Mtn Dan

The bolt I found did not have a hex head...

it was a silver (metal) colored bolt with a standard shaped bolt head with, as I recall, a flange on it. I think it was about an inch or so long. Are there any of these in that door hinge area? In the fender maybe?
Old May 29th, 2002, 08:00 AM   #7
Rich in Almaden Valley

That sounds exactly like it.

Approximately 1 inch long with a flange built into the head. I believe it was 10/12mm and threads into the underside of the hinge.

Check it out and let us know if you've got the same problem...

Good luck!
Old May 29th, 2002, 10:21 AM   #8
Chatter Box

Me, too.

The one that comes loose on me is a torx nut but I can use my hex key on it if I'm careful. When loose, the door clicks when opening and shutting it.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman