Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 21st, 2007, 04:02 PM   #1
larrykirkwood74

Check oil Indicator

OK, yesterday I had a weird scenario.

I filled Guenther up, I had been running about town off and on all day, and as I am pulling out of the gas station, the cluster panel said to check my engine oil. I check it religously every other day. The day before when i had checked it, it showed it was full. I have not had to add oil in a long time.
So I got worried beyond belief, thinking something is terribly wrong, i immediately pull over to a safe spot, turn the car off, check the oil, and it says its full. I get back into the car, it starts ok, runs ok, nothing unusual, and the sign to check the oil signal is gone....... WTF???
larrykirkwood74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:32 PM   #2
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykirkwood74
OK, yesterday I had a weird scenario.

I filled Guenther up, I had been running about town off and on all day, and as I am pulling out of the gas station, the cluster panel said to check my engine oil. I check it religously every other day. The day before when i had checked it, it showed it was full. I have not had to add oil in a long time.
So I got worried beyond belief, thinking something is terribly wrong, i immediately pull over to a safe spot, turn the car off, check the oil, and it says its full. I get back into the car, it starts ok, runs ok, nothing unusual, and the sign to check the oil signal is gone....... WTF???
Maybe you parked on an incline? It would have to be pretty steep to trigger a low oil when the oil is full, so not very likely, but who knows.

I sometimes park my cars on the driveway (not very steep), and the fuel guage, etc are usually off for a little while after driving.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...9daf3a22_t.jpg
Photo Blog My Boxster/Babblers' Photos
Babblers Photos on Flickr
akif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Westcoaster

And this...

My in dash indicator said it was 1 bar (400ml) low, so I added exactly that, checked it and all was good.

A few days latter it again indicated that it was 1 bar low, so I added another 400ml, of course now it says it 'too full'. All done on perfectly level ground.

My concern is the levels are digital, just under 1 measurement point and it will indicate it is low, just over another measurement point and it will indicate too full, in either case there is no way to tell by how much... This is where a dip stick provided superior information (even lets you inspect the condition of the oil it picks up).

The way I figure it, you don't want to overfill the sump, but I would be very surprised that being either 400ml low or conversely 400ml high would be cause for alarm. (?)
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

If you mean 1 bar below 'full' then don't worry about it. Personally, I never add oil unless I'm at least half way between 'full' and 'low' unless I'm going to the track. In that case I top it off. But around town I just don't worry about it as it's within the allowable operating range.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM   #5
larrykirkwood74

Hey Tom yes, i did mean 1 bar below full level. Its where I always TRY to keep it. When I first took possession of my car it used a lot of oil initially. Then it leveled off and only once in a blue moon do i have to add any.

Then weird thing....it just flashed that message telling me the oil was low. No, to answer your question I was not parked on an incline, I live in Texas, where its flat, level ground, lol not the fun twisty hills you cali guys have. I guess it just freaked me out. Its my expensive baby, and i want to keep it running tip top shape.
larrykirkwood74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM   #6
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykirkwood74
Hey Tom yes, i did mean 1 bar below full level. Its where I always TRY to keep it. When I first took possession of my car it used a lot of oil initially. Then it leveled off and only once in a blue moon do i have to add any.

Then weird thing....it just flashed that message telling me the oil was low. No, to answer your question I was not parked on an incline, I live in Texas, where its flat, level ground, lol not the fun twisty hills you cali guys have. I guess it just freaked me out. Its my expensive baby, and i want to keep it running tip top shape.
The advice I have from my dealer is that don't worry till it gets to the bottom of the digital guage. By the time it's at the lowest, you're short about a quart - and that's still okay.

As I understand it, the guage is not the level for all the oil, it is the level within the safe operating range.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...9daf3a22_t.jpg
Photo Blog My Boxster/Babblers' Photos
Babblers Photos on Flickr
akif is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman