Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 21st, 2009, 04:48 PM   #1
savowood

Muffler Bypass

I'm trying to find a muffler bypass for my 2000 Boxsera. It's having breathing issues. Well, more to the point, it takes it air quite well, but it doesn't poop it out so well.

The 996 motor moves a lot more air, and I have the intake side working well. I'd like to find or if I must, make a muffler bypass which is switchable. On the street, I want to remain as I have it with the flow going through the stock muffler. When I go to the track or autocross, I want to hit a button, probably the open one below the TC one, and have the bypass rumble to life. It should be after the cats since I have headers and don't cherish the the CEL coming on.

Does anyone know of a system like this? I've looked around and seen them for 996 and 997 cars.

-Michael
Eibach ARBs
Toyo R888
1:28 at Summit Point (and improving)
savowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM   #2
mikefocke

You need the Pedro Sport Exhaust

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site%203...20Exhaust.html

And I've seen someone insert plugs (through the exhaust pipe that expand to block the flow of the unmuffled exhaust) which are removed when you want the sound. Since you only want the sound for "events" this would work for you at very low cost.

Ask Pedro about that mod of the mod if you are interested in pursuing it. He'll know who did it and it may even have been him.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3
ChrisZang

I actually think you are looking for this:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=11914
http://www.badlanzhpe.com/page7.html
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #4
savowood

I think that's it. Mike's suggestion looks like a good one, but I don't know if that does anything more than just give a nice sound. I think the bypass is exactly what I'm looking for, and that one apparently has a way to adjust it to be opened to different amounts. That way, I can run it at 25% or 50% through the bypass, or wherever gives me torque and better breathing.

Now I just need to get the money to do it? Anyone want to buy a slightly used 41 year old guy with a Porsche fetish?

-Michael
Eibach ARBs
Toyo R888
1:28 at Summit Point (and improving)
savowood is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman