Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1
mikes_box

If you guys have good canvas and need a new window you can do it!

Hey guys helped a buddy of mine do a window replacement on his boxster canvas top with the vinyl window. It was not hard at all and would highly recommend it for those who have a damaged window from the elements or just cracking. It took us about an hour and a half to remove the top. Once removed we brought it to an upholstery place who sewed in a new plastic window for a FRACTION of a price to have them do the whole process themselves or to buy a new top with a new plastic window or the one with the upgraded glass top. We got the ideal from one of the members who had just down a sew in himself. He used a 40 gauge window which everyone thought was too thick but was DOT approved to use as a window but I believe that the stock window is all a 40 gauge window because it is thick when feeling it after we took it off. We ended up using the 30 gauge slightly smoked tint vinyld. Not as thick as the 40 but pretty good. It was ordered from the company and before buying it I had called the place and they said it was used for boat windows and was treated with uv protection and was built to withstand weather and sea conditions. We got the top back yesterday from the shop and got it installed. Took us about 3 1/2 hours after trying to figure out how we took it apart and to put back as it had been a few days since we took it off. Came out great! Will post pictures. If we were to do this again, I have confidence that we could do this in 3 hours with removal and replacement. At first it seemed like a daunting task but after it was said and done it was not bad at all. I wish I would've done this on my boxster but all the post here on people who have done it always made it feel like it was horrible...
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM   #2
offshore

Mike along with pics can you post some links to where you got the window and what shop did the sewing. It would be great if you did a DIY step by step with pics.
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #3
mikes_box

Ron, we didn't have a chance to do a diy on the project. Lets say it can be done for about $350 parts and labor to have it replaced granted that the top is in good condition with no tears or damage. Here is a picture of the new window on the car. The window used was a slightly tinted window but its hard to see unless its outside. The original green tinted window can be done as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0986.jpg   IMG_0987.jpg  
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

Man, I need to get this done. The cost to replace the entire top is just too much and I really don't like leaving the hardtop on all the time, but have little choice with how much it rains in the midwest!
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Google+

Copyright © 2001-2014 Babblers. All rights reserved.
Babblers is a Porsche Boxster and Cayman enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Porsche of Stuttgart, Germany.