Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old April 16th, 2002, 11:09 AM   #1
Boxster Spice

Do BMC air filters need to be oiled when installed new?

I just got a spare filter and a cleaning kit from D2 Performance. I just installed my original filter out of the box. But I'm wondering now, before I install the spare, should I oil it or just install it as is.

Part of the reason for my confusion is all the previous discussions about letting the filters sit overnight to remove some of the oil and I'm not getting any oil on my paper towel. Am I supposd to oil it and then let it sit overnight? Or does it just need to be oiled after it's been cleaned?
Old April 16th, 2002, 12:00 PM   #2
Catalog Guy

No need to oil a new filter *NM*

Old April 16th, 2002, 12:10 PM   #3
Boxster Spice

Sweet! Thanks! *NM*

Old April 16th, 2002, 04:06 PM   #4
Eric in Dallas

The color of the filter is white...

and with oil it is red. Cleaning an old filter with the BMC detergent will turn it white.
If the filter you want to install is red, it has been oiled. You may still do well to dab it with paper towel to absorb any excess oil

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman