Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #1
bbb

goodyear eagle f1 all season tire reviews

Hi - i need to replace tires on my Boxster and prefer to buy from a nearby Goodyear retailer. The Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tire seems to be one i would be most interested in, which fits my car.

I am not one of those who has much opinion on tires or needs "special" requirements met - no racing, or driving hard. Just normal driving really. Anyway, all I'm trying to find out is if there is any reason i should AVOID these tires - appreciate any input - thanks
bbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:47 AM   #2
offshore

Info

Here's more information than you probably want to know about the tire but you can also use this site to find out what the OEM tires are for your car.
http://tires.tirerack.com/search?asu...dyear+eagle+f1
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:04 AM   #3
70Sixter

Offshore is right to recommend Tire Rack. No matter where you by your tires, you need their price quote with shipping in your back pocket.

My servicing dealer uses them w/o the shipping cost, but with sales tax.

There is some debate on N-rated (Porsche approved tires). Rather than weigh in, I'll just say you want a tire designed for a rear-midengine design. Not one for a front engine - front drive car.

And WELCOME.
PCA since 1970

http://www.babblers.org/forums/vbgoo...597656&zoom=14
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #4
bbb

thanks - so the N-rating is telling you it's porsche approved - i didn't realize that. thanks - something else i'll have to consider now
bbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM   #5
flintworks

I can't remember the exact model of tire but it was a Goodyear that a customer had installed on a Cayman. With the newest/best tire balancer out there it was impossible to eliminate the steering wheel shaking at speed. That being said there are tons of people out there that run non N rated tires with no problem. My personal oppinion is that Michelin makes the smoothest, quitest tires out there but you do pay the price.
http://www.flintworksauto.com/porsche
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
flintworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM   #6
offshore

P Zero

BBB my '99 came with P Zero's and had the front end shake at 70 mph until I took it for a front tire balance and full alignment. I picked it up from my mechanic and hopped on the freeway and it was so smooth I though I was going 60 and looked down to see I was at 105 mph. The P Zero's are really sticky and I've yet to break them loose. I tried the other day going 65 mph through a 25 mph turn and not even a slide. From what I've read about them you can't expect much more than 15K miles from them but I will put another set on my '99 when these wear out. They are OEM on a '99.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #7
mikefocke

If you buy an all seasons tire, you will get a tire that does nothing very well but tries to do all things adequately. In testing all seasons versus Ultra High Performance Summer tires (15 brands), Consumer Reports found differences in 2 to 4 levels of excellence (out of 5!) in every tire tested in many of the categories. In other words, where a UHPS tire would generally be very good in one of the 9 categories tested, the all season might be fair. And the difference could be like that across 6 of the 9 categories. There was no tire that got one of the top 2 rankings in dry and wet handling and still handled snow with a good (the middle) ranking.

And all seasons are inferior to good "snow" tires in ice and snow. Surprisingly, some are even poor in snow.

There is no perfect tire. So define carefully what you need out of a tire by describing how you drive and the conditions under which you drive. And then research the heck out of the tires you might buy.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman