Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 9th, 2002, 09:36 PM   #1
Ken R

Way off topic, any Babblers into Solar Power?

I'm working on purchasing and installing a 6kw solar grid tie system on our property. I would like to hear from others that have already or are considering installing a PV system. Now seems to be a great time as the rebate and tax credits can pay for up to 57% of the cost.
Old October 9th, 2002, 09:38 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

What system did you decide on and what is the anticipated ROI? *NM*

Old October 9th, 2002, 09:58 PM   #3
Ken R

Re: What system did you decide on and what is the anticipated ROI?

I'm getting 40 165 watt Sharp panels with 2 Sunny Boy inverters. I can build the whole system for 20k after rebates and tax credits. I figure I can save $2,400 per year with PG&E. I'm in the middle of a refinance and 20K over 15 years will cost me $166 per month. The interest is tax deductable to boot. In my first year my fully financed cost after tax is $1,400. That means I put $1000/year in my pocket.
Old October 9th, 2002, 11:40 PM   #4
Barry

Re: What system did you decide on and what is the anticipated ROI?

Will this system last 15 years, maintain most of the 40x165 Watt output capacity, and incur only insignificant maintenance and repair costs?

Actually, the economics appear favorable even if the answers are "nearly" to all three questions. Plus the fact that PG&E is more likely than Mr. Sun to raise rates over the next 15 years.
Old October 10th, 2002, 06:14 AM   #5
Ken R

Yes, almost no maintenance

The panels are warranteed for 25 years and are expected to last longer than that. The only other part of the system that might fail would be the inverters and they cost less then $4,500 for the pair. PV systems require almost no maintenance except keeping the panels clean from dirt and dust. Most people just hose them off a few times a year.
Old October 10th, 2002, 07:10 AM   #6
jonathan

Are the tax advantages state or federal? *NM*

Old October 10th, 2002, 07:36 AM   #7
Ken R

Re: Are the tax advantages state or federal?

For residential systems installed in California you can take a state credit of 15% of the net cost of the system. Also in my area I qualify for a rebate of up to 50% of the cost of the system.
Old October 11th, 2002, 09:48 AM   #8
jonathan

Thanks, I'll have to see what my area offers! *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman