Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Jon Summers

Seen the New Model?

Got an e-blast from Porsche the other day touting the new model Boxster. At this point I have to say we all have better looking cars. Not a fan of the new body or interioróbusy, over-designed, not nearly as elegant.

I'm sure it's full of technological advancements, but for my thinking, everyone here should rejoice in what you have.

Jon
Jon Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I have been following the latest generation Boxster (981) as well and I must say, I love it. I like the CGT side vent styling and the spoiler integrated into the tail lights. The interior is busy, but I like it too. There is a nice video on this German site, you can view full screen for a good look. It is below the photo gallery.

2013 Boxster Video

I would not buy the first model year, but I figure I should be close to 200k miles on my car by 2017 and should be able to get a good deal on a '14 just coming off lease.
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #3
offshore

I like it as well. I like the mirrors on the doors and the integrated side air intakes that look very functional. I'm not a fan of the spoiler though because it breaks the tail light up in a funky way. Whether we like it or not the interior is designed for today's driver who wants to be connected and that is a trend that will most likely continue. If the "baby" Boxster ever appears it may fill the spartan sports car category that traditionalists seem to crave. I like your plan Bob!
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Jon Summers

I still like our cars better. Go figure.

Jon
Jon Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Snaxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Summers View Post
Got an e-blast from Porsche the other day touting the new model Boxster. At this point I have to say we all have better looking cars. Not a fan of the new body or interioróbusy, over-designed, not nearly as elegant.

I'm sure it's full of technological advancements, but for my thinking, everyone here should rejoice in what you have.

Jon
Hello Jon, and hello All. I've been Boxter-less and away... but I'm not dead yet!

How's this for a delayed reaction? Here is something I wrote to a friend in March, about the rear of the 981 Boxster (pictures attached):
This is the car whose rear the new Boxster's rear reminded me of, the Toyota Camry Solera. I saw one on the street the other day.

Consider these pictures, then imagine the following changes on the Solera:

1. raise the bumper vertically and flatten its top ledge

2. rotate the taillight assemblies about 20 degrees downward

3. slide the spoiler toward the bumper a bit, and widen it so it intersects the taillights.

There's your new Boxster rear end. It's awful, Man, and I don't know what Porsche was thinking.

I believe the 986 will always be the best body design of any Boxster; a truly classic Porsche design!
Best,

Snaxster
Attached Thumbnails
rear solara.jpg   rear boxster.jpg  
Snaxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #6
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaxster View Post
Hello Jon, and hello All. I've been Boxter-less and away... but I'm not dead yet!

How's this for a delayed reaction? Here is something I wrote to a friend in March, about the rear of the 981 Boxster (pictures attached):
This is the car whose rear the new Boxster's rear reminded me of, the Toyota Camry Solera. I saw one on the street the other day.

Consider these pictures, then imagine the following changes on the Solera:

1. raise the bumper vertically and flatten its top ledge

2. rotate the taillight assemblies about 20 degrees downward

3. slide the spoiler toward the bumper a bit, and widen it so it intersects the taillights.

There's your new Boxster rear end. It's awful, Man, and I don't know what Porsche was thinking.

I believe the 986 will always be the best body design of any Boxster; a truly classic Porsche design!
Best,

Snaxster
No argument on the 986 here.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030065.jpg  
Old July 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #7
george g

Love my 2003 Black Boxster S. I was looking at the new Boxster at the dealer which was modestly optioned at 81K and other than being a new car I could'nt justify the cost.

George
george g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #8
vitaminC

I think the new one looks fabulous. The interior especially is so much better than the weird swoops and hard plastics of the 986 interior. It's probably just as well that I've only sat in a 981 vs driving it, as there won't be one in my future for quite a while...
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Tomy996

New IS fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminC View Post
I think the new one looks fabulous. The interior especially is so much better than the weird swoops and hard plastics of the 986 interior. It's probably just as well that I've only sat in a 981 vs driving it, as there won't be one in my future for quite a while...
And I own a red Solara convertible! I can't
see the comparison without REALLY stretching. Anyway, I liked it so much I sold my '06 and ordered a 2013. Dark blue met., Blue top and Luxor Beige interior. Left it with the six speed as I can't see giving up what is probably the best six speed going for an automatic PDK. Yes, I have driven a '13 with PDK. I had to - mine is the only six speed on order so far through my dealer. The $3500 PDK just isn't worth it to me and how I use the car. I hope to see it arrive in August. It's "birthday" was July 4th. A German-American!
Tomy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #10
wingman

New Boxster

I drove one last week and will be ordering one. I am coming off lease from a 2009 Boxster non S. The 2013 is a dream. Still handles GREAT and has a much more exotic sports cars feel. Unlike the previous models, the side profile looks great with the top up! I will not give an in-depth evaluation but if you would like to know more, fell free to contact me with any questions. Below is a link of the Boxster I want to order in Platinum silver. I saw one at the dealership. WOW!!!
http://prestige-imports.porschedeale...31661/info.php
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman