Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 25th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Peer

Leave in gear while parked..?

As a kid back home, my dad taught us to always leave the car in gear when parked. Years later, here in California, my moto mechanic told me to never do so since if someone bumps into the car, it will damage the transmission. I tend to trust my mechanic, so nowadays I never leave it in gear anymore.

However, this afternoon when parking in downtown Palo Alto, I ended up performing a Buster Keaton / Charlie Chaplin stunt as I walked away from the car after forgetting to apply the handbrake -- running after my dear P-car as it slowly meandered into the intersection, desperately trying to slow it down with one hand while fishing for my keys with the other. (I'll sue if this somehow ends up on YouTube.)

So I wonder if it's true that you can actually damage the transmission if left in gear and someone bumps into you? If not, I think it's time for me to go back to my dad's routine -- gear AND handbrake -- especially since this is now the second time this has happened to me.

-- peer
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

I've always gone by leave in gear if on a hill of some sort just in case the parking brake doesn't hold and neutral all other times.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #3
mcomet

There was a related thread on planet 9 recently. It seemed like most agreed to use the handbrake and to apply it FIRST so the weight of the car etc rested on the brake. Then apply into gear if needed for additional hold if that is your thing. I've actually always just used a hand brake. Drives me bonkers if someone else parks my car cuz I almost always forget to check neutral on startup and end up bucking the car. Of course that doesn't happen very often.

Edit : on steep hills I would definitely do both brake and gear.

Last edited by mcomet; July 27th, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

It's especially important on AT cars. Stop with foot on brake, engage parking brake, shift into Park. Putting the car into Park before applying the parking brake can add load to the transmission if parked on an incline. It's possible to get away with putting it into Park and then activating the parking brake but you have to keep the foot brake engaged the entire time to ensure the parking brake is engaged before releasing the foot brake.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2020, 09:56 AM   #5
lizbee

Thanks for sharing this! helped me soo much! Love
lizbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2020, 07:23 AM   #6
cherrykey

thanks for sharing this! but i wonder how much is a tummy tuck ?
cherrykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2020, 07:24 AM   #7
cherrykey

we have the same idea! but im more concern on the tummy tuck cost
cherrykey is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman