Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 14th, 2017, 06:56 AM   #1
AverageJo

1997 Porsche Boxster, New Owner.

Hello everyone, I am new to Porsche and to this blog. I just purchased this as a fun vehicle for my lovely wife and I. The car has 110,000 miles and appears to be in a great shape and runs great.

I would like to do some basic maintenance myself like oil change and air filter however, I can not find the recommended part numbers of the oil filer and other related parts for this car.

Is Mobil 1 synthetic 0W40 a correct oil to use?

If you guys/gals could help me with the maintenance part numbers it would be much appreciated.

Here is some basic information on the car.
1997 boxster black 5 speed all leather with heated seats.

It has some ( what I consider minor challenges) ebrake button gets stock and I have to wiggle it to make it pop back out.
Ignition key does not return to its normal operating position after the car starts and I have to nudge it a little to have my light to come on.

Here are some pictures.

Sooo any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.

Over and out

Ed
AverageJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:17 PM   #2
mikefocke

Replace the ignition switch.

Oil and Filter Replacement
with part numbers.

Mobile 1 0-40 is a Porsche recommended oil. But there are online wars about the best oil.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:48 AM   #3
AverageJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Replace the ignition switch.

Oil and Filter Replacement
with part numbers.

Mobile 1 0-40 is a Porsche recommended oil. But there are online wars about the best oil.

Thank you sir. What about the oil filter part number?
Old March 16th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #4
Cjarl5

Great looking car! I love the early Boxsters. Has the IMS bearing been replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cjarl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #5
mikefocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJo View Post
Thank you sir. What about the oil filter part number?
Listed in the almost first line of the above link.

Porsche part numbers are available in a document called the PET that is available if you poke around the Porsche web site. http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...SA_KATALOG.pdf
Old March 18th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #6
AverageJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjarl5 View Post
Great looking car! I love the early Boxsters. Has the IMS bearing been replaced?

Thank you.
I don not know if the ims bearing has been replaced . I will ask the previous owner and will let you know.
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #7
Cjarl5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJo View Post
Thank you.
I don not know if the ims bearing has been replaced . I will ask the previous owner and will let you know.

My understanding is IMS replacement can cost as much as $3,000, but adds a lot to the value of an early Boxster. As one Porsche master mechanic said "it's not a matter of whether or not it will fail but a matter of when." Anyway, I know you will enjoy that beautiful Boxster. Oh - and google "Boxster Summit" - might be something you would be interested in.

Cjarl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 09:03 AM   #8
AverageJo

Well thank you. I will investigate further sir. I appreciate your help
Old March 19th, 2017, 09:06 AM   #9
AverageJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Listed in the almost first line of the above link.

Porsche part numbers are available in a document called the PET that is available if you poke around the Porsche web site. http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...SA_KATALOG.pdf

Hi mikefocke. Thank you for the link. The link that you posted has a 2004 model year. Mine is 1997. Is it the same or could you get me the link for my model year.

I could not locate the information for 1997 on that website. Thank you for your help sir.
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #10
mikefocke

The info as I read it is for a pre 2004 car though the part number for a 2004 is mentioned in one paragraph. I'd wager someone has even posted directions on this forum as the ignition switch is a common problem especially if your key ring has lots of keys and stuff on it. Search is your friend. All forums have such a feature.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman