Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 3rd, 2002, 03:01 PM   #1
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

OT - Observatory Open House - er Roof.

I've finally got my observatory done to the point that it is usable. Some of you have expressed an interest in seeing the facility in action so... I'll plan on an "open roof party" Saturday if anyone is interested. This obviously needs to take place in the early evening and can begin around 6 PM while it is still light out. Once it gets dark we can do a bit of observing with a couple of my scopes, including the 20".

Please let me know if you are planning on coming and/or need directions as I figure I can easily handle 4-5 people.

Old October 3rd, 2002, 04:17 PM   #2
Kemist

Re: OT - Observatory Open House - er Roof.

I own a Meade LX 200 10 inch SC and very much enjoy viewing the planets and deep space objects up here in Truckee. Sometimes we head to the Black Rock Desert (in Nevada) and set up the scope there. Boy would I love to take a peek through that 20 inch Dobsonian! Ever think about coming up this way (Truckee) for darker skies? Of course you would not be able to drive the Boxster and haul that puppy up here
Kemist
Old October 3rd, 2002, 04:25 PM   #3
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

I used to do remote observing but find that I now prefer to be able

to put things away and crawl into a warm bed instead of a cold sleeping bag - or a long drive home . Although I will admit that dark skies are much nicer for chasing the faint objects.

It is so nice to be able to put the small items away, stow the scope(s) and just close the roof. Before, I had to then haul everything into the house. Made it really tough when trying to do imaging as well. I'm now set up so that if I'm going to do imaging I can still be covered by the roof while the scope is in the open. Makes things much nicer as there's no dew on the laptop or table in that configuration.

ps - we'll be passing through the Truckee area in about 3 weeks on the way up to Graeagle as part of the Fall Frolic.
Old October 3rd, 2002, 04:35 PM   #4
Kemist

Re: I used to do remote observing but find that I now prefer to be able

I believe if I remember correctly that the group was going to be up here on a Saturday. I usually work on Saturdays but I think that this might be a great opportunity to play hookie. I would love to try to meet up with you folks and maybe even drive to Graegle (not too far for me to come back home that nite). What time do you plan on passing through here? Any plans for lunch or a short break in town?
Kemist
Old October 3rd, 2002, 05:35 PM   #5
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

It looks like the bulk (all?) of the group will be driving thru on Friday. Is that better or worse? The plans I'm working on call for lunch in Jackson and then going up 88 over Carson Pass. We'll then scoot around the lake via 89. I'm hoping for Graeagle by 6 PM or so. I guess I should get this mapped out and timed pretty soon, huh?
Old October 3rd, 2002, 06:16 PM   #6
kemist

Friday might be tough but it sounds like you will be in Truckee later in the day. I may be able to leave work early from Reno. If I get an idea as to around what time the group will be here, I will do my best to join you for the rest of the drive. Sounds like a good time! Keep me posted. By the way, be prepared for the possibility of snow or cold weather. You never know up here.
Kemist
Old October 3rd, 2002, 09:30 PM   #7
Catalog Guy

I'm here now

Well in Olympic Valley that is. I put a Babbler card on a GR w/Sport Classics in Truckee today. Know who that is?
Old October 4th, 2002, 10:43 AM   #8
Steve B

I will plan on stopping by *NM*

Old October 4th, 2002, 04:38 PM   #9
Kemist

GR w/sports classics

Only know of one other Boxster in town here. An artic silver 99 (I think). Belongs to one of the local realtors up here. I see her husband mostly driving it. I own a Seal Grey 01 S with 18 inch Turbo Look wheels but I don't remember getting any cards.
Kemist
Old October 7th, 2002, 06:57 PM   #10
kat. (Santa Cruz)

Re: Tom - thought of you...

don't know if you're interested....

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2002/October/06/local/stories/06local.htm

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman