Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old April 3rd, 2002, 08:50 AM   #1
x99shark

TBHL route, take II

Well, since my Yosemite route got shot down by the forces of nature (or at least the park service) I'm looking for another route.

Here is the deal. For my money, if I am going to do 18 hours of driving for a long weekend trip, I want the getting there/back to be as much fun (or more) as the destination. Being parked on 15 in the mohave or stuck on 5/101 behind trucks and the Grandpa Waltons who won't pull over isn't my idea of a good time.

So any of you guys have some creative alternatives?
I see two options...
Head up to Stockton, take 88 across the sierra's then down 395 and across death valley and in the back way to vegas. Accoring to the CHP web page Tom posted, this route is open.

Or...
The secret back way we took last year, Gilroy, 156 thru Hollister, 25 then 198 to Coalinga, 33 through Avenal then across to Bakersfield the across the sierras on 178 (this is open also) and up to death valley, across and back down to vegas. This is a longer route with more backtracking. But is an option and if you going for the drive....

The first route looks only slightly longer than a the tranditional freeway route but I'm not familiar with the road conditions.

Any input?

Thanks
-Ed
Old April 3rd, 2002, 04:48 PM   #2
Gary (Redwood Shores)

I'll take the S. Sierra route to 395, but..

..we'd need to be ready to alter it at the last minute if a storm front dumps a spring snow on the pass.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman