Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old April 2nd, 2002, 07:44 AM   #1
SMH_Atlanta

AMERICAN 986 Club Now Open!

Hello,

My name is Stephen Huss. Many of you know me as SMH_Atlanta on PPBB or Stephen Huss the president and founder of the Atlanta Boxster Club, Inc.

I am writing this to inform all of you that the Atlanta Boxster Club has now formed the American 986 Club, Inc. The American 986 Club, Inc is in the process of setting up regions across the US. I am sending this to many of you, as I know that in your areas, have formed small Boxster groups. We would like to have your group join the American 986 Club, Inc.

The charter for the American 986 Club, Inc is very liberal and not controlling. This way you can do what you wish in your region as long as you don’t step away from the main idea of the club. The main idea is ABOUT the PEOPLE not the car. (Thanks PPBB) Because of this, the club is open to both Boxster Owners and Non-Boxster Owners. The membership fee for Boxster owners is $35.00 and $50.00 for non-owners. This membership fee will go to Insurance and the publication of a quarterly news letter In addition at least $15.00 per member will go back to the region, as we grow the amount back to the region will grow.

The Club will hold a conference call with different regions (potential) to help review the plans for the club. The main advantage of joining American 986 Club, Inc as a region, you will be covered under the American 986 Club, Inc insurance policy.

The national board (made up of people form each region) for American 986 Club, Inc is not going to tell you how to run your region, as already said, so long as you keep it about the people. The club has a simple charter and will not be about politics.

Well, this is to be a simple letter and I hope to hear back form many of the groups out there to set up your regions. For more information on becoming an American 986 Club, Inc member or region, please e-mail me or join us for our 1st conference call IS TONIGHT Tuesday, April 2 at 6 PM Cali time (9 EST). I will provide the conf call # per an e-mail request.

Happy Boxstering!

SMH

Stephen Huss
President

JF

Joanne Fierro
Vice President

AMERICAN 986 Club, Inc. is not connected with PCNA or Porsche Cars in ANY WAY!
Old April 2nd, 2002, 08:08 AM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

Congratulations Stephen and some questions...

and thanks for your hard work. I support the idea of a national organization especially when it appears to dovetail so well with the local groups like the BABBLERS and Robert Grant's Boxster Club in SoCal.

We have spent a lot of time in the past looking into insurance and there have been questions about the need for it. I think that's the key issue here - insurance. My questions:

1. Why will the typical Boxster owner want to pay dues -what will the insurance do for him or her (the dues payer)?
2. What will the insurance do for the local group leaders?

I will try to participate in the conference call tonight (believe it or not, I have another conference call scheduled). Good luck to you and the Club!
Old April 2nd, 2002, 08:41 AM   #3
SMH_Atlanta

Re: Congratulations Stephen and some questions...

Dan,

The dues will go to both the region and the national club. The fee for Boxster owners is $35.00 this is not a huge amount and the idea being that we can have enough people that this $ will go to the regions -- the $ sent back to the region is to be used for events -- social's, mountain drives, etc. However the $ will not be used to cover Track events. The track events will have to include the $ of the event insurance into its entry fee, the reason for this that the insurance for this event is Additional to our national policy. The local $ is for the region to use on the region. I envision the club set up very similar to PCA but with a HUGE effort to get Boxster owners out to meet other people! The money kept at the national level will go to the production of the news letter (quarterly at first then we hope monthly) and to pay for the club insurance. I know we have talked about this before Dan and the $35 membership fee for ABC has not been an issue -- we have over 60 Boxster members! The club is set up as non profit so at the end of the year the national club will donate any unused $ to the CF foundation as our VP is Joanne!

As for the insurance – Dan, you and I have had a few e-mail talks on this but here is my take -- and my intention. The fact that the Babblers, SCBG and ABC have been very lucky on drives and events it will not last forever. If, God forbid, anything happens the family of the person who put on the drive are going to go after the person or group who set up the drive -- that is just the way the word is now. With being a region being covered by the American 986 Club, Inc. policy you are covered by the 5 million $ policy we carry. Now I know that this is a hot subject and this is a key for the club -- but I personally feel that you are leaving your self-open with out insurance. We will talk at length about this tonight!

SMH
Old April 2nd, 2002, 09:58 AM   #4
x99shark

insurance, a potential mega-thread

>>but I personally feel that you are leaving your self-open with out insurance.

I had a chat with my atty and ins agent about this. Unless you're driving without auto insurance, you're already covered for something like this to the full extent of your existing auto policy. So nobody is driving without insurance (I hope).

The only caveat is that if we set up a corporation for the club, the officers and board members would have liability that would not be covered by auto insurance. Do you guys have a web site where you could post the insurance coverage detials?

Good luck with the club. Its nice to have some more potential events being spearheaded.

regards
-Ed
Old April 2nd, 2002, 10:09 AM   #5
SMH_Atlanta

Re: a potential mega-thread - agree

however, being covered by my insurance and I set up a drive and some one gets hurt my car insurance will not cover that -- American 986 Club, Inc members and officers would be... (are)

SMH

Our web site is not up yet -- But we will have a web site up soon!
Old April 2nd, 2002, 10:17 AM   #6
x99shark

source?

Who told you that you would not be covered by your existing auto insurace if you set up a drive? Thats the scenario that I'm talking about that you are covered already by any auto policy. Can you site a specific exclusionary clause? That is what it really all comes down to.

regards
-Ed
Old April 2nd, 2002, 10:37 AM   #7
Boxster Spice

I think there may be a misunderstanding here.

Hi Ed,

I'm no atty. But this is my understanding is that my auto liability insurance only covers me for hitting someone with my car.

I think that Steve is talking about the poor sap that plans the route, chooses the roads to drive on, the meeting times, etc. He may not hit anybody. He may not even be at the event. But if he tells someone on a public forum that "here are some good roads, you guys should go drive them on this day, etc". Then if someone else has an accident in no way involving that "planner", he could still be sued be victims/victims' families, etc.

Or think of this scenario. You are flying down a windy road with me and Andrew following behind. If Andrew runs over a little girl, it would be theoretically possible for the girl's parents to sue you rather than or in addition to sueing Andrew because you were leading him. Andrew's insurance would step in to help him, but I doubt your insurance would step in to help you if you didn't have the accident.

They may not win, but I definitely feel that it would be nice to have an insurance company going to court for me if I were ever a "planner" in that situation.
Old April 2nd, 2002, 10:37 AM   #8
SMH_Atlanta

Re: source?

I can not nor have I looked... but as far as AM986 is concerned we are a Non-profit Inc. and as such we will not leave it to chance or the courts should anything happen.

SMH
Old April 2nd, 2002, 10:44 AM   #9
SMH_Atlanta

Re: BINGO -- yes that is my thinking....

I know the car is covered, but not the guy who set it up -- I know that this has happened before (will not mention the club on the net) - But I was on a drive with another group and a guy rolled his car -- his insurance paid for his car but his insurance company Sued the club of the event and the person setting up the drive -- now they had insurance and were covered and the case I believe was dropped but if he had not had the clubs insurance covering him his personal policy would not have covered him... for setting up the drive –
Old April 2nd, 2002, 10:47 AM   #10
SMH_Atlanta

Re: in addition --

It covers Socials where someone falls and huts himself or herself -- it covers any event except track events!

So I dont want to lose scope of the whole picture with just the Mtn drive example.

SMH

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman