Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1
baxter

Unhappy Central Warning Light

My central warning light came on today, and the message in the info menu in the OBC reads "System fault. Go to workshop". The light goes off when I use the turn indicators. Also, when I put the headlights on and use the brights, the bright light indicator goes off after a few seconds, even though the brights are still on. I don't think this is serious and I will call the dealer tomorrow, but has anyone else experienced this?
Old July 10th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

It seems like weird things like this are usually due to either a grounding problem or the light switch going bad. Let us know what it turns out to be.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #3
baxter

I talked to the dealer today, and they say it is nothing serious. I will take it in on Wednesday, which is my next day off. I will post the verdict at that time. But I agree it is a grounding problem or something like that. I want to drive with my turn signal on all the time so the light goes away. It ain't easy being neurotic. When the light goes out the message is no longer in the OBC. It is as though it never occured.
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #4
baxter

OK, here's the skinny. The dealer says they found the front control module out of calibration. They recalibrated the control module and now all is fine. Peace of mind is having your baby back.
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5
sdda61

Had same message - dealer replaced ECU control Gateway front control unit

Message gone - but now my headlights go on and stay on as soon as you start the car up - I don't think day time running lights was an option for 05

Back to the shop
- they did however fixed a lot of recall stuff(never notified)
including installing new front air grills, eliminating rattle noise, new exhaust washers and engine carriers studs -

Mark - Moorpark, CA
sdda61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #6
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdda61
I don't think day time running lights was an option for 05
Mark - Moorpark, CA
Actually, it is an option (assuming '05 and '06 are the same, which I believe). To paraphrase the manual, your dealer can set it up as you prefer. If your car is equipped with a PCM, then you can do it yourself. I have played around with it and haven't actually used the option, but know how to.

Apparently, they have forced them on for countries that require daylight running lights, and left them as an option for those that don't.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...9daf3a22_t.jpg
Photo Blog My Boxster/Babblers' Photos
Babblers Photos on Flickr
akif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #7
sdda61

Thanks - thats what the dealer said - Guess when they replaced the ECU - they did not return them to the original settings - I had the lights disabled.
sdda61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #8
classonde

Post Washing Car and System Fault

I detailed my car this weekend, including waxing and buffing, etc.. and when I started the car this morning (Monday) I got the System Fault message.

I wonder if somehow I gummed up a sensor somewhere on the body of my '05 Boxster S. Anyone have any ideas?
classonde is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman