Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #1
ChrisZang

break pads bedding procedures

I will be installing BHP XPS brake pads this Sunday.
The bedding procedures are very specific:

The following should be done in 2nd gear and you should never have to use the clutch. (If you car is an automatic than manually select 2nd gear) Accelerate the car in 2nd gear to high RPM. Using moderately high pedal pressure apply the brakes until the car decelerates to low RPM's. Immediately accelerate to high RPM and repeat. This should be done 12-15 times in a row. The net effect is short hard snubs of the brake system (Staying in 2nd Gear) to limit the energy input into the system and slowly build up heat. Furthermore having moderately high line pressure will ensure good force distribution across the friction face to ensure even bedding.

As the temperature rises some fade may be encountered. Drive the car for approximately 10-15 min to let the rotors cool evenly. If needed repeat the process again but remember to drive the car again for 10-15 min to allow rotors to cool evenly.

Does anyone have an idea where in the Bay Area I can repeatedly accelerate to 70 mph, slow down to 20 mph, repeat 15 times and NOT get rear ended or a ticket?
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Paralizer

The only suggestions I can come up with are:
1. The old Alameda Naval Air Station
2. The parking lot at Candlestick
Both of these places are used for autocrossing and if there isn't an event going on you might try one of them. I would think Alameda would be the better choice. Good luck.
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3
WC13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
I will be installing BHP XPS brake pads this Sunday.
I was thinking about buying a set of these. Please follow-up and let us know how you like them!
"When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
WC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #4
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea where in the Bay Area I can repeatedly accelerate to 70 mph, slow down to 20 mph, repeat 15 times and NOT get rear ended or a ticket?
Sounds like my daily commute down 101

How about Caņada Rd., in the early morning hours?
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #5
ChrisZang

Happy to do that.

I will post a report after my next two track days @ Buttonwillow weekend after next. Because that's the main reason why I bought them to have a good set of pads for street AND track use

... to be continued ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC13
I was thinking about buying a set of these. Please follow-up and let us know how you like them!
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #6
Terry

Late night drive

Follow the instructions - - - you should always bed in new pads in order to eliminate potential future problems.

Last time I did mine, it was about 2:00AM. Less traffic, but the downside of this is that if a police spots you, be prepared to take a sobriety test
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:46 PM   #7
ChrisZang

As I just couldn't convince myself to go down Canada road at 2 AM, I invented my own way of bedding: by left braking at 65 mph for 2 seconds every 5 ~ 10 seconds for 15 times (I did this after I had about 150 ft of free space behind me - amazing for 101 on a Sunday afternoon).
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM   #8
ChrisZang

1st part of the report (2nd part will follow after my 2 track days this upcoming weekend).
The pads are worth their money alone for the way they are packed. You will receive a box in which they are embedded into black Styrofoam like an expensive and very fragile electronic device.
The next positive surprise: The pads have (unlike many other after-market pads) the holes for the brake wear sensors, so no drilling needed.
One concern I had was brake noise: On the package it says very clearly that you MUST install the pads with new rotors to avoid squealing. My rotors have still a lot of life left in them so I ignored that but was worried about noise.
A friend of mine was so nice as to chamfer the leading edges of the pads (which I understand should be done for performance pads); maybe that's the reason, but so far the brakes make less noise than the OEM pads I had before (which had the vibration dampeners).
The breaks work very well when cold, which is usually a problem with performance pads who need to get heated up.

So, so far it's a clear winner, now let's wait for the impressions from the track.

... to be continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC13
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #9
ChrisZang

BHP XPS pads on the track

Here is part #2 of my review of the BHP XPS pads:
I had two great track days at Buttonwillow Sat & Sun, for the die-hard fans here's the link to the in-car video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKnF-7-MKLo"]One lap in Buttonwillow - YouTube[/ame]
The pads performed very well on the track. No fading whatsoever, good "bite" from begin of the session to the end . On day #2 on my very last lap I heard some loud squealing from the brakes, but that didn't affect the grip or anything and went away after the brakes cooled down.
I also noticed a relatively low amount of brake dust on the rims (for approx 175 miles of track driving).

So in my opinion two thumbs up

Quote:
1st part of the report (2nd part will follow after my 2 track days this upcoming weekend).
The pads are worth their money alone for the way they are packed. You will receive a box in which they are embedded into black Styrofoam like an expensive and very fragile electronic device.
The next positive surprise: The pads have (unlike many other after-market pads) the holes for the brake wear sensors, so no drilling needed.
One concern I had was brake noise: On the package it says very clearly that you MUST install the pads with new rotors to avoid squealing. My rotors have still a lot of life left in them so I ignored that but was worried about noise.
A friend of mine was so nice as to chamfer the leading edges of the pads (which I understand should be done for performance pads); maybe that's the reason, but so far the brakes make less noise than the OEM pads I had before (which had the vibration dampeners).
The breaks work very well when cold, which is usually a problem with performance pads who need to get heated up.

So, so far it's a clear winner, now let's wait for the impressions from the track.

... to be continued
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #10
WC13

That looks like a really nice track!!

I was debating between the BHP XBS (~$350) and Hawk HPS pads (~$210).

It sounds like from your reviews that the BHP may be worth the extra $140. Correct?

Thanks for your review and input on these pads!
"When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
WC13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman