Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:05 PM   #1
emerson

Unhappy Squeaky Suspension

My '99 Boxster recently developed a very annoying squeak/groan from the passenger side front end, audible below 30 mph on bumpy pavement and when making turns. Mechanic removed front stabilizer bar and lubricated, no improvement (and $175 poorer). Also a less annoying squeak from the rear end audible at low speed when traversing things like speed bumps.

Any idea how to fix this properly?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Sort of sounds like (no pun intended) a bad strut tower bushing/bearing. Mine would make noises on slow turns before it was replaced and it's a fairly common failure point. As I recall there's a TSB that covers this from around 2000 or 2001.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:20 PM   #3
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

There's an informative thread with more info on Tom's suggested diagnosis over on PPBB.com. My '99 has the exact same problem, I'm just waiting for life to slow down on a weekend to try a DIY repair.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #4
dedes

Sounds like a bad bearing

Sounds like the same thing I had that happened to my car and had the bearings replaced, etc. sorry!
dedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Snaxster

Hi, emerson. My 987 Boxster had a defective strut. At first, for some weeks, it squeaked at low speeds, over bumps, etc. Eventually it was audible at speed with top and windows up. The dealership didn't guess the cause, but when they asked Porsche, it was suggested that they swap the struts from one side to the other. In my car's case, the sound was localized enough for that to prove the source of the defect. The sound moved from the left side to the right of the car after the swap. Maybe this will help with one of your car's problems. Good Luck! Snaxster
Snaxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM   #6
boxs2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson
My '99 Boxster recently developed a very annoying squeak/groan from the passenger side front end, audible below 30 mph on bumpy pavement and when making turns. Mechanic removed front stabilizer bar and lubricated, no improvement (and $175 poorer). Also a less annoying squeak from the rear end audible at low speed when traversing things like speed bumps.

Any idea how to fix this properly?
I would agree with the consensus the front is most likely a top strut bearing or mount. As far as the rear squeak, I do not think that is a hub bearing because the bearing usually make more of a moaning sound or like a bad tire moan that gets louder if you swerve the car left to right at slow speeds. If it only does it when going over speed bumps (or as the suspension moves up and down) I would have to say check the sway bar mounts or even the rear spring perch to see if the springs are properly seated. You car is a 99, are they still the original shocks? Does your car have many miles on it? Are the roads you typically travel rough? If yes, then it may be that its time for new shocks (take a look at the bottom of the shocks, if it appears there are clumps of oil, then thay may be leaking and time to get new shocks and struts. as they may be blown)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM   #7
napaboxster

I am having the same issue with my '98 and it is getting very loud and squeeky. My research and quick rack time with an Indy in Napa has lead to the conclusion that it is a lower control arm bushing with a cracked boot allowing the elements in to deteriorate the bushing. I am currently checking pricing on the replacement part. They range in pricing from $350 (Auto Whrse) & $850 (Pelican). Hey Boxs2000 & Boxster Boy, have you ever replaced a control arm? Might be a good project for a Wrench Day Soon! I have been eyeing the M030 suspension upgrade for a $1000 as well so I might just have the indy do all the work. I really want to avoid spending a grand to fix a squeek though! Was wondering if the bushing could be replaced? Call me if you any of you have experience with the control arm. I can get the parts pretty quickly. I have a Bentley coming in the mail. Check out PPBB also, I have been proposing a lot of questions over there and have had a lot of response. I'm at a point were I need to make a final decision and order parts. I am leaning towards purchasing the M030 and taking it to the indy for install and have him fix the control arm while he's in there. That said, I'm still up for a Wrench Day soon! I am a bit short on tools but do have the basics. Still need a torque wrench though. How about Saturday June 22nd for a Wrench Day?
napaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:02 PM   #8
emerson

Thumbs up

Excellent info (as always) - many thanks. I will follow up with my mechanic.....
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:15 AM   #9
emerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedes
Sounds like the same thing I had that happened to my car and had the bearings replaced, etc. sorry!
Did the bearing replacement solve the problem?
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:28 AM   #10
emerson

Some more info:

I have not taken the car in for an inspection yet, but there is one more piece of information I can offer to support nailing down the diagnosis: the creaks/squeaks can be generated with the car stationary by pressing down on the front end and also when turning the steering wheel. Sounds like your typical horror movie creaky staircase.....

The input received so far suggests either:
1. Top strut bearing/bushing or mount
2. Lower control arm bushing/boot

Does the nature of the symptoms help to pinpoint the problem? Any input is appreciated, next step is to get the suspect components inspected and go from there.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman