Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 26th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #1
savvas_cy

White smoke at startup

Hello everyone.I just bought a 1999 Porsche Boxster from England.I am from Cyprus.The car has 82000 miles and i ve hot the service history and all MOT passed.Everytime i start the engine a lot of white smoke comes out from the excaust.I went to an engineer and he told me that i need new engine and that Bosxter engine cannot be fixed.I also check on some websites and they say that white smoke on startup is normal.Does anyone experience such a problem before?Can you help me please?
Thanks.
savvas_cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #2
blinkwatt

You may want to check your AOS and see if it is the original part or not,it's been revised several times and some have cured their white smoke by replacing it. A tiny bit of white smoke is normal if the car has sat for several days,the way the engines are designed leaves a little oil build up cyclinder walls which burns off at start up.

01' 986 S Orient Red Metallic, 6-spd, clear lights(w/ xenon)
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #3
savvas_cy

What is AOS?There is a lot of white smoke every time i start the car.
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

AOS -> Oil Separator. A failed separator will produce a LOT of white smoke.

Does the cloud of smoke smell of oil? If so then this might be your problem. If it has a "sweet" smell then you might be leaking coolant, which is a much more expensive fix.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #5
savvas_cy

Thanks a lot!I will try it.Will i need just AOS or will i need any other parts near it.
I found a website with OEM parts (www.pelicanparts.com)
Is this a trustable site?
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #6
blinkwatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvas_cy
Thanks a lot!I will try it.Will i need just AOS or will i need any other parts near it.
I found a website with OEM parts (www.pelicanparts.com)
Is this a trustable site?
Yes you can trust them. Sunset Imports(google them) could provide you with a better price and they probably ship faster as well.

01' 986 S Orient Red Metallic, 6-spd, clear lights(w/ xenon)
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #7
savvas_cy

How many oil separators the Boxster engine has?
Is it better to change and the hoses near it?
What other parts shall I order in case everything will work fine?
Thanks.
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #8
First986NJ

If you are getting 30 seconds or less of smoke on startup, it probably is normal and isn't any big deal. It comes from oil seeping past the rings and is a normal trait of the flat 6 engine. If it smokes beyond about the first 30 seconds, then there MAY be an AOS issue as Tom eluded to.
'90 300ZX Aztec Red/Black
First986NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #9
savvas_cy

Sorry for asking again in the forum.Maybe i am too stupid for such things but I have to find a solution in my problem since here the engineers cant help me
I have download some pdf files for Boxster and i am really confused now.The engine has 2 oil separators and there are under the oil pan and I have to remove many things to change it.But the oil separator that I found in www.pelicanparts.com it seems to me totally different that the one it shows in the pdf files. (http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0&Line_Item=10)
Please guide me which parts I need and if there are instructions how to change it please give me the link.
As i mentioned before there is a lot of white smoke every time i start the engine.This doesnot seem normal to me.The smoke smell oil and it stop after 3 minutes or less.
Please let me know.
I appreciate ur help.
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #10
Tom M
Site Founder

It looks like the current version for you car is p/n 996.107.231.55

Check out this thread over at renntech for more information. You will need to register there to read the discussion if you haven't already done so.

BTW - Some people have done this themselves but have also said they'd likely pay to have it done a 2nd time.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman