Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 31st, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1
Jedi

Not a good day

I was park on the street today, only to come out to find my car with a 4 inch square hole punched through the front bumper ( under the licence plate mount) from a hitch receiver. There was a couple of notes left identifying the lady, she left me her name and phone number and the other was from a witness.
The problem is with the insurance company, I would like to have a new bumper installed and they are giving me a bit of a run around. I would appreciate any advise on what would be the best repair for the vehicle. The body shop says that they can repair the bumper so that you would never know, I don't know if this would be the best approach or not.
The car was bought new and is a 2004 Boxster S, Artic Silver and has less than 9000 miles on it.
I don't know if the value of the car would be affected after the repair is done or not, repair cost with new bumper should come at less the $2000.

Again any info would be greatly appreciated

Jedi
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:40 AM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I know of no way to "fix" a hole in a plastic bumper. Take it to any reputable body shop and I'm sure they will confirm that. Don't let the insurance company pull something like that. A new bumper installed and painted is probably $1500. When I had mine replaced, I contemplated switching to a 996 bumper, IIRC, the price was ~$975 vs. ~$925 for the Boxster replacement. Since I wasn't paying for the work, I decided not to mess with the process and stuck with stock.
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:01 AM   #3
Paralizer

New, stock, factory issued replacement bumper. No exceptions and no substitutions. Make sure you retain the notes from the person who hit you. They will be very valuable if the insurance company continues to balk at doing the appropriate repair. Good luck.
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:34 PM   #4
baxter

absolutely what everyone else is saying. i had a minor booboo the second month i owned my car (never drive summer tires in cold weather) and the damage was sooooo minor. they replaced the entire right rear panal. total, painted, everyhing......$1200. there is no way to fix a hole in a bumper. good grief. it's a porsche for goodness sake.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman