Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

View Poll Results: 2005 or 2007?
2005 Boxster S 8 44.44%
2007 Boxster S 10 55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM   #11
Sly Cyr

2005 has this options...

Automatic Climate Control, Bose System w/Windstop, Wheel Caps with Colored Crest, Black Mats - Porsche lettering. Remote CD Changer (6 Disc), Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package.
Sly Cyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #12
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Cyr
Question: Does the 2007 Boxster S worth the 11K$ more vs the 2005 Boxster S??? Here's the 2 options... Thanks!
I opted for a '06 instead of a '05 last year .

My reasoning was...

I'm buying a new car vs. an old car. With old cars, the way the PO drove may come into the picture later on in the car's life. I plan to keep it for a long time... at least 10 years or so.

Instead of trying to haggle with the owner (I realize you're buying from a dealer) for a particular car... buying new gave me the option of buying from any dealer that made it worth my while.

If you call around enough, you will find a dealer that has a car that's been on their lot for a while, and they will bend over quite a bit to get rid of it. I was lucky that I found the dealer that was the closest to my home anyway

You'd be surprised how (in my case) a few grand made the color black very appealing vs. my first choice of midnight blue. Looking back, I think I should've wanted black to begin with.

True, I ended up with a few options that I didn't care about/want, such as 6-cd changer (I have a mp3 in-dash player), but in the bigger picture by buying the car I did, I essentially got this and some other options for free. In other words, if I had ordered the car exactly to my liking, I would've paid the same for much fewer options.

I would:
  1. make a list of things with you absolutely want, things you'd like and things you couldn't care about one way or the other
  2. Get on the internet - all the dealers have their inventory on the web
  3. call them and make an offer that you find acceptable - and ask for their best price.
  4. repeat #3 until you find a dealer who'll accept your offer, or whose price you like.
Don't get discouraged when you hear comments like... do you think that you called a japanese car dealership, these cars sell themselves, etc.

All it takes is one dealer

My $0.02

Remember, whatever car you buy, it will be a blast to drive, and you'll have a ton of fun in it.

Good luck.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...9daf3a22_t.jpg
Photo Blog My Boxster/Babblers' Photos
Babblers Photos on Flickr
akif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #13
Mdreiver

It's not $11k for 15bhp. It's $11k for 15bhp, more torque, bigger engine, and most importantly... for the -12k miles. That's 12k miles you'll never get to put on the 05. It's 12k miles that are already depreciated. I know the rate of depreciation is lower in the 2 yo car than the brand new car. But you still have to keep it in the equation.

Here's what I mean.

Try to compare the expected cost of ownership for the time you hope to keep it rather than the purchase price of each. The 07 costs more now but it will be worth more in X years than the 05 also. It will be newer, have fewer miles, and have a more desirable engine.

eg, for X years (you decide) the 05/07 will have X miles (your best guess) and they will therefore be worth $$??? Then, subtract the best estimate you can make about return from the known purchase prices and then see how much more the 07 really costs.

And just for grins... Call a different dealer and ask for an over the phone ballpark trade-in value of that 05. I've never seen a dealer that won't give you a best case price over the phone and just warn you that they might (they definitely will) come in lower once they see the car in person. It helps to call an out of town dealer.
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #14
Spiral

I would go with the 2007 without a second thought, but it's a really personal decision. Only you know how much you would appreciate an extra 15 horses, as well as the other options. But you should know this before you decide: heated seats rule!
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #15
SurfCity

If it were my choice, I'd go new. But do you want/need all those options? This time of year, I'll bet you can wrangle a showroom-new 07 Boxster S for about $55,000. I got my lightly optioned 06 Boxster last year at this time for $45,365, and I couldn't be happier with it. Feels like I stole a Porsche!
SurfCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #16
dougster01

05 vs 07 box

Hmmmmm.... since neither of them are Guards Red, it's a very easy decision.... neither one.

Days gone by...
72 Triumph TR-6
73 Triumph TR-6
85 Pinnafarina Spyder
86 Audi Quattro 4000 CS
88 Porsche 944
00 Mazda Miata MX-5

dougster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #17
ZENHPNS

I love a bargain so I'd go with the 2005 S. Options are always nice, but you're buying this car for it's performance (at least I hope you are).

Bottom line: will the 2007 put a bigger smile on your face than the 2005 and if so, is that bigger smile worth $11K?
ZENHPNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #18
bartekr

Definetely buy used. The depreciation curve on new cars is terrible and Boxsters hardly change year to year. Most people couldn't tell a 1997 boxster vs. a 2007. But remember the 1997 boxster can be bought for 15K vs. the 60K for the new boxster.

Some people will argue maintenence cost will be higher on the used car. That is obviously true, but i doubt they will be higher than the depreciation curve. My advice: buy a 2002 S or 2003 S, put 10K in the bank for future maintenence, then use the 10K for your kids college.
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #19
Willy

No question about this in my mind, you buy the car with the beige interior. You said you like it the most, buy it. If you buy the black/black, you are not buying the one you like the most.

I don't care for black cars. They are hard to keep clean. They look nice when clean but trying to keep them looking that way is a chore. Rain/Dust. I wouldn't want a black interior either. Top down on a sunny day you get in and your butt and back will get heat treated.

Buy the one that trips your trigger.

Good luck.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #20
Sly Cyr

I bought the 2005...

I know the beige interior is cooler in the sun (I've learned yesterday in Julian, CA, that the black seat can be very hot ...) but I wasn't sure about the "Full" leather interior (dash in leather will be hard to protect from the sun specially in San Diego...). But anyway, I got a great price (almost 4k$ under MSRP) and I love it! What a Car!

People in San Diego area must go to Julian (not to eat apple pie) but to drive those great roads with plenty of curves, downshifting and cool handling...

I have an other question. The last owner put only a red "S" on the trunk instead of the original designation... I've ordered a chrome "Boxster S" to replace it... what are your idea on that?

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman