Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Masshole

Boxter s top trouble

Has anyone had to manually put up their top? When I press button nothing happens.The light on the dash comes on an off at no specific times. Yes car in N and brake up.
Any ideas what this could be, windows dont go down at all either like they do 1". I looked in manual to put up the top manually its seems pretty confusing and it says "drive straight to porsche dealer top no secure" Is this true?

Thanks
Masshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Which dash light are you referring to?

Does the brake light on the dash come on when you pull on the parking brake?

Do the windows work properly other than the drop related to the top?
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #3
Monterino

Hello Mass...I can tell you one thing: if the top is not fully up or fully down (the position indicator lights for top either up or down on the dash must be OFF), then the windows will not work.

Do you have a confirmation light on the dash for the e-brake?

If so, does the convertible top motor sound like it's driving? Or is there no sound at all?

A really common problem on older Boxsters is that the plastic sheaths on the drive cables grow in length over time due to heat and will withdraw the drive cable ends right out of either of both ends of the motor.

I recommend that you refer to 'Toolpants' excellent posts on Renntech.org.

Every question you have will be answered.
Monterino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #4
Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M
Which dash light are you referring to?

Does the brake light on the dash come on when you pull on the parking brake?

Do the windows work properly other than the drop related to the top?

Dash light shows a picture of the top down.On the right side of instrument panel.
It comes on whenever your opening or closing top. Now it comes on every once in a while.
Yes brake lite comes on when e brake pulled.
Yes windows are good.
Button for top is the one in question if it works, the button above which is defrost works and the lighter below it works. I checked all fuses that pertained to insrument panel and top.
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #5
Tom M
Site Founder

Sounds like the microswitch in the top latch of the windshield header may be bad. You can verify this by pushing it in with your finger or a pencil to see if things begin to work (it will think the top is latched.) When you let go the windows should do the initial drop like when unlatching to lower the top.
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #6
Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterino
Hello Mass...I can tell you one thing: if the top is not fully up or fully down (the position indicator lights for top either up or down on the dash must be OFF), then the windows will not work.

Do you have a confirmation light on the dash for the e-brake?

If so, does the convertible top motor sound like it's driving? Or is there no sound at all?

A really common problem on older Boxsters is that the plastic sheaths on the drive cables grow in length over time due to heat and will withdraw the drive cable ends right out of either of both ends of the motor.

I recommend that you refer to 'Toolpants' excellent posts on Renntech.org.

Every question you have will be answered.
Yes ebrake lite is on and no motor sound. Its a 2001 Boxter S with 38k on it.Thanks for tip on cables.
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Masshole

I tried the top about 10 times.This morning once early and then again 10 minutes ago, it went up.Made some noise at the start like maybe something was jammed.
I did confirm after it went up microswitch was working, an obvious motor works, maybe its a faulty switch or just a fluke?
Thanks for your help, without the knowledge of forums we would be off to the stealer alot more or banging are thumbs up for reasons not needed.Forums are very powerful, Thanks again

Also thanks for renntech site.I signed up typed in toolpants an there were many post with top problems.A coupe people had e break switch problems.
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Tom M
Site Founder

From this description it sounds like it's a slipped cable or top transmission problem. It's not a difficult fix and if caught early is easily a DIY job.
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #9
KNTJAFO

Must be common problem. This morning I discovered the top on my 02 Boxster will not go down. Worked on Sunday. Windows lower when top release is activated, NO e-brake symbol on dash. notop icon on dash. No noise of any type. Where should i look first? Thanks
kntjafo
KNTJAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #10
Tom M
Site Founder

If the brake light doesn't come on when you pull up on the handbrake then the switch under it has gone bad or at least intermittent. If it's the latter you can sometimes get it to work bt cycling the handbrake up.down several times.
'11 958 Cayenne S

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman