Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 7th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #1
savvas_cy

Oil Through Excaust Headers

I have a 1999 Boxster 2500cc and I every time I start the engine a lot of white smoke comes out from the excausts for approximately 5 min.I made a search in forums and many people says that if I change the oil separator it will be ok.I went to a car engineer and we notice that there is oil leaking in the left excaust headers.I will put some pictures below.I ve already order the AOS but the engineer believes that this will not correct my problem.I asked him what do you think is the problem then?And he told me that he dont know what the problem is,maybe I need new engine.
There arent many Porsche here in Cyprus so engineers dont know exactly how to fix them.
Can you help me please?Can you advise me what i shall do?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01582.JPG   DSC01585.JPG   DSC01584.JPG  
savvas_cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Is the oil showing up on both exhaust headers or only one side?
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #3
savvas_cy

Just on the left side.The other is clear.
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

Doesn't sound like the Oil Separator is going to fix this. The problem sounds more like it might be a failed head gasket.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #5
savvas_cy

The oil level its ok,the oil doesnot seem to have water in it.The temperature of the car is ok.Everything is working properly except white smoke on startup.I really dont know what to do!!!
Is it expensive to change the head gasket?Can anyone engineer do this or I have to take it to Porsche?Is it complicate?Can he change the head gasket while the engine is on the car?
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #6
blinkwatt

Shouldn't there be gasket between the engine and the manifold? I would just change that first before taking the engine out to change a head gasket. Just by chance,did you look to see that those bolts were tightened properly?

01' 986 S Orient Red Metallic, 6-spd, clear lights(w/ xenon)
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #7
savvas_cy

I am not an engineer but I think the problem is not the gasket between the engine and the manifolds but the problem is that oil is coming there,right?
I will check this tommorrow,anyways.I am totally despareted!!!All these years I owned Toyota and I never had such problems,no oil leakings no engine problems nothing!!!I didnt know that Boxster would have so many problems
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #8
blinkwatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvas_cy
I am not an engineer but I think the problem is not the gasket between the engine and the manifolds but the problem is that oil is coming there,right?
Good point!

01' 986 S Orient Red Metallic, 6-spd, clear lights(w/ xenon)
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #9
savvas_cy

Any new opinions or suggestions about my problem?
As I mention White smoke appears only at startup for 5 minutes or less.Temperature level is ok,oil level looks ok,there is no coolant in oil and engine runs ok and in highways and in traffic.I have this white smoke problem for one month.At the beginning I thought it was ok but now i am really worrying about this.I have order the AOS and I am waiting for it to install it.
Can anyone tell me what does the AOS do with simple words and why the white smoke appears when the AOS is broken?
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #10
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

From Mike Focke's site http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/ai...torreplacement

"A bad AOS can make your car look look like this because oil is being sucked from the crankcase into the throttle body and then into the engine in amounts the engine can't burn off in its normal combustion process. The normal source for this oil is the Air Oil Separator which is part of the pollution control equipment and is intended to reduce the pressure in the crankcase in an acceptable way by allowing some vapor to be vented into the engine for disposal through the normal combustion process."

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman