Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 21st, 2001, 06:22 PM   #1
S(less) in Vancouver

Links to a camera mount for the boxster? *NM*

Old July 21st, 2001, 07:17 PM   #2
Tool Pants

Trygve

Trygve's site
Old July 21st, 2001, 11:47 PM   #3
JayM

And here's where to get it

Made right down the road in Lafayette!

http://www.ioportracing.com/video.htm
Old July 22nd, 2001, 01:33 PM   #4
Kevin C. (currently in Juan Les Pin, FR)

The other alternative...

Brey Krause makes a camera mount for the Boxster. This is the one I have. There is less kludging to get a good fit because it has a plastic cutout customized to the profile of the Boxster roll bar. The only hassle is that if you have the storage box below the roll bar you will need to remove it before installing the mount. Once you get the hang of it, it only takes a few minutes to remove the box.
Old July 22nd, 2001, 01:34 PM   #5
Kevin C. (currently in Juan Les Pins, FR)

Re: The other alternative...

p.s. I believe that Dan carries the Brey Krause stuff. (www.d2performance.com)
Old July 23rd, 2001, 11:04 AM   #6
Trygve Isaacson

I really should update that page...

...to reflect my current thinking and mention the alternative. For example, the IOPort has the following downsides (at least in my experience): it is a pain to get the bolts though the brackets because they're not quite long enough if you put the nut end forward so as not to interfere with the soft top (the more padding you insert, the worse this problem is); you will eventually leave marks in your roll bar no matter how you try to pad it; I found it very difficult to get a tight enough clamping to keep the camera from slowly rotating downward (my camera's a bit on the heavy side which surely makes this worse than it would be with a really small camera).

Kevin has pointed out the pros/cons of the B-K mount. I am tempted to give it a try. Since I have the zipper bag I wouldn't have to worry about removing the rear speaker box, but my one concern about the mount would be that it's got a limited (vertical-only) positional adjustment. And for typical cameras it probably requires the camera to sit just above the roll bar since they'll stick out the rear, more so if there's a big battery attached on the back. That's fine, unless it places the camera such that it's too high to frame the desired view out the windshield (with the IOPort you can position the pan head well forward of the roll bar, as high or low as you want, with room for the camera and big battery to remain in front of the roll bar at a lower elevation).

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman