Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 5th, 2001, 11:33 AM   #1
Greg

CD changer or in dash replacement ?

Hi guys,

My wife has decided that she's buy me "cd capability" for Xmas, my boxster having come with the Radio/tape only. I am wondering about what makes the most sense and I am hesitating between a CD changer and an in dash one.

- the CD changer can apparently be found thru continental imports for $350+ and I need brackets from porsche, shipping etc, so probably $400. That also means I retain the flashing light on the radio when the car is locked. (Silverstone 2660 right?)

- An in dash one makes feeding CDs easier and means a swap...I don't have to drill, mount, worry about codes anymore, lose the tape and the light...and the PORSCHE letters whe you start it ;-) Is there a decent unit out thre that fits the opening perfectly and that people have put in their cars ? Around the same price or less ?

What would you recommend ? Do changers skip more ?

Thanks !
Old December 5th, 2001, 11:49 AM   #2
Tool Pants

You could try this *NM*

Old December 5th, 2001, 12:09 PM   #3
JC from SoCal

I have 6 CD changer + casette on dash. I like this arrangement

The 6 CDs have been more than enough for the trips I've been on. I haven't had any issues with the unit.

I like the casette because on some long trips, I like to check out "books on tape" from the library for the drive. I have not seen any books-on-CD. I also have not looked to hard either.
Old December 5th, 2001, 12:30 PM   #4
Tool Pants

The babblers did a group changer install

last year, about a dozen cars. There was a group purchase. Tom did a write up on it. We got all the stuff from Continential, including the Porsche bracket, don't even bother looking for a better price unless Dan can come up with one. The in dash cd skips over bumps, the Becker 2660 cd changer in the trunk does not.

If you want the oem Becker in dash cd changer 220 I see them on ebay all the time from people who have gone to an aftermarket head.

Jeff

Old December 5th, 2001, 05:38 PM   #5
Catalog Guy

Re: CD changer or in dash replacement ?

Hi Greg,

I have the 6 disc changer in my trunk and I purchased 2 additional cd magazines. 6 CDs lasts quite a while. On trips I generally play all 6 a couple times before I actually go through the trouble of changing the magazine. When not on a trip and just using my car for normal driving, I usually switch magazines because I am want to hear a certain song or album. I am limited to what I have loaded into the magazine. I have great intentions to actively manage the CDs in the magazines

I have an aftermarket in dash CD player that handles 1 disc at a time. I like this set up as it is easy to eject a disc and pop in another. Easy if your passenger has brought along a CD (or someone wants to enter your stereo in a parking lot SoundOff with his own CD LOL). I found a nice black CD case that holds 40 CDs (I think) and fits perfectly in my map holder below the steering wheel.

I think I have just convinced myself that if I were to pick one CD source it would be in dash.

Andrew

Old December 5th, 2001, 06:20 PM   #6
kat.

Extra CD magazines?

where did you purchase them (and how much were they) ?

thanks.
Old December 5th, 2001, 06:29 PM   #7
Tool Pants

A hint *NM*

Old December 5th, 2001, 06:46 PM   #8
kat.

Yeah...I know...

I could research it for myself. its just you people seem to know where to go and how much one should pay.
Old December 5th, 2001, 08:11 PM   #9
Catalog Guy

Re: Yeah...I know...

I bought mine over the phone from La Jolla Audio, but since then Dan has done a few deals danf@aol.com

Andrew
Old December 5th, 2001, 10:40 PM   #10
Jason Reiser (NYC)

Any driver footwell images of that car?

It looks like they installed kick-panel speakers. I'd be curious to see how the driver's side looks... especially since the car is a stick (which makes these installs a bit tough.)

- Jason

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman