Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 15th, 2001, 02:35 PM   #1
Boxster Spice

I have had my clutch checked out by Claridges.

I went for a testdrive with the mechanic at Claridges. Those guys are great, btw.

Anyway, he confirmed that my clutch is NOT slipping. He said it was still holding well. He said the clutch chatter that I have been hearing is the same thing that I am feeling. The clutch disk has been worn unevenly which causes it to engage oddly. It skips and grabs as it hooks up and that action shakes the entire tranny. The part that is audible is actually the gears. The gears are designed with these tolerances in mind and therefore, he recommended waiting to replace the clutch.

It sounds aweful and it's hard to drive smoothly so I won't wait forever. But it's nice to have options.
Old October 15th, 2001, 02:54 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: I have had my clutch checked out by Claridges.

That's "good" news at least. Who'd you go on a test drive with? Rick? Anthony?
Old October 15th, 2001, 02:55 PM   #3
Boxster Spice

Re: I have had my clutch checked out by Claridges.

Rick. I don't know if I know Anthony but Rick is very knowledgable and friendly.
Old October 15th, 2001, 03:12 PM   #4
Ca Crusin

Re: How do they check for slippage? *NM*

Old October 15th, 2001, 03:29 PM   #5
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: How do they check for slippage?

The way it used to get done was leave the handbrake on and slowly let out the clutch. The engine should begin to stall even with moderate revs. It'll be interesting to see if it's still done that way.
Old October 15th, 2001, 03:36 PM   #6
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

It was good to see you there this morning...

They will check my clutch while they are fixing the oil leak (rear main seal). They said it would only be about an additional half hour of labor to replace the clutch once they had the engine and transmission apart for the seal. I have 26K miles on the car, so it might time to replace the clutch. (smile)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1
Old October 15th, 2001, 03:52 PM   #7
Boxster Spice

Re: How do they check for slippage?

He got it up to around 40mph with the rpms near 4k and then accelerated while holding down the brake. (The foot brake, not the handbrake). If the rpms rose while the car did not accelerate, it would have been bad.
Old October 15th, 2001, 03:55 PM   #8
Boxster Spice

Likewise.

BTW, the clutch kit is just around $600, but the labor is around $1000. Also, the longer you go into a clutch before replacing it, the higher the likelihood the flywheel will be too far gone to resurface and a new flywheel would be roughly $1k. If you don't have at least 50% of the clutch surface left, as well as even wear, I'd say it's easily worth it to replace it.

Sorry to hear about your oil leak. Sounds like this is a bad one if they are having to get in there that deeply.
Old October 16th, 2001, 05:55 PM   #9
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

They said my clutch was fine...

My service advisor took a look at it, and said there was more than 50% of the clutch life remaining. Not bad for 26K miles. He said my driving was easy on the clutch. That was a surprise. (wink)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman