Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:13 PM   #1
Chatter Box

Clutch fluid questions

A while back, some people posted that they had bled their clutches and replaced the clutch fliud. I have a few questions...

1. How often is this supposed to be done?

2. Would it be part of the 1yr or 2yr service or do you pay extra for this?

3. What symptoms, if any, would a car have if the clutch fluid was in need of being replaced?

I have a developed a soft pedal and I know that clutch wear is supposed to leave you with a hard pedal. I also know that the brakes go soft after the brake fluid boils and gets air in the lines so I'm wondering if I have air in my clutch fluid and if I could possibly get normal pedal feel back by replacing.
Old May 13th, 2002, 01:29 PM   #2
Tool Pants

Re: Clutch fluid questions

As you know, the clutch and the brake share the same resvoir. But since they are on separate circuts I do not see how one whould have to do with the other. When the brakes are bled it is a "simple" matter of cracking open the bleed screw for the slave cylinder.

Come to the next work on car day and we will bleed your brakes and clutch.

Jeff
Old May 13th, 2002, 01:40 PM   #3
Chatter Box

Re: Clutch fluid questions

I had my brakes bled at the dealer with a recent 2 year service. But my clutch pedal remains too, too, too, too soft.

I just spoke with a service advisor that bled the brakes for me and he said they always replace the clutch fluid at the same time so that's not gonna help me. He said the other situation that can cause a soft pedal is a worn pressure plate. Add that to my clutch chatter that is getting worse and I just decided to give up and replace my clutch. I burned it pretty badly [read: realll freaking badly] on 2 different occassions so I guess it's okay. I could stretch it out longer. But to be honest; the chatter, both in noise and in feel, is affecting my enjoyment of the drive.
Old May 13th, 2002, 01:46 PM   #4
Tool Pants

Is that why you changed your name to Chatter Box *NM*

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:53 PM   #5
Chatter Box

Yes. Yes it is.

Well, that plus I got tired of waiting for other people to think that the Spice was a funny name. Plus, I'm told I don't ever shut up.
Old May 13th, 2002, 02:39 PM   #6
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

Re: Yes. Yes it is.

That's impossible. If you really never shut up, then how could they manage to get a word in to tell you that you never shut up? It's a paradox!

If the barber shaves every man in town who doesn't shave himself, then who shaves the barber?

Yoseif
Old May 13th, 2002, 03:53 PM   #7
blk 2k 2.7

Can you describe the chatter of your clutch

and when it would occur? I've got a noise occuring with the clutch in following braking as I drop down to 1,000 rpm.
Old May 13th, 2002, 04:38 PM   #8
Chatter Box

Re: Can you describe the chatter of your clutch

Mine's a little different. Although I know what you are talking about. The "clunk" I think you are referring to can be fixed by having a little throttle on as you press on the clutch pedal. Although you will never get Porsche to admit to this, I read that it is actually caused by the clutch assembly not being properly aligned when it is installed.

The chatter I'm talking about is that when the clutch engages, I hear a fluttering noise along with some vibration in the clutch pedal when I'm taking off. It's caused by 1 of 2 things. 1, I could have had an engine oil leak and some oil on the clutch disk. 2, and the most likely is that I created hot spots when I burned it and now the pickup is jerky.

The sound is somewhere between a playing card in the spokes of a bike wheel and a really bad knock on an old clunker. It can be heard from the sidewalks and is kind of embarrasing since this isn't exactly an old clunker. hehe

The feel makes it hard to engage because it grabs and then lets go which totally confuses the right foot of how much gas to use to keep from stalling but not burn off more surface.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman